Thursday, May 16, 2013

Trekking poles

For the past 25 years my hikes in the woods have been accompanied by a walking stick. The one I most often use is special to me; my father-in-law (now deceased) made it. He was a carpenter by trade, and this happens to be a sturdy and useful staff. But most of the time I simply carried it. I put it to use mainly when going down steep trails to help me keep my footing.

My two sons recently presented me with a gift I wasn't initially convinced I would like: trekking poles. (These look somewhat like the poles a snow skier would use.) I decided to give them a try on a recent hike to Rocky Fork Falls in Unicoi County, TN. After completing the hike, which involves a 1,200-foot elevation gain, I realized I had a couple of new friends.

I confess I had previously regarding trekking poles as "geeky" (or "dorky" as one of my sons said). But as I get older, I'm finding myself to be not as agile as before, and stamina is more of a precious commodity. These poles proved to be beneficial in a couple of ways on this hike: (1) They utilized my arm strength to climb the steeper parts of the train; (2) they also utilized my arms to take some of the pressure off my knees coming down those steep sections; and (3) they provided even more help in maintaining balance. That last benefit was especially helpful when fording creeks.

I suppose there are some who might regard the glasses I wear as "dorky", but I know I can't get far without them. Now I've made acquaintance with two helpful friends who will give me similar assistance when venturing into wilderness areas. (If you'd like to see photos of the falls I just visited, go to http://hikingbill.com/?p=511. This fellow has a very nice site.)

Hiking is not for everyone, but we're all trekking on a trail that is leading us into eternity. Those who know God's word realize the importance of having His guidance on this trail, for we don't want to take the wrong fork in the road! We need all the help we can get to make it to heaven.

The writer of the letter to the Hebrew Christians pointed to one valuable resource we have in making this journey: "Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed ... Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God ..." (Hebrews 12:12-13,15).

What that writer is describing is Christian fellowship. Think of Christian companions as "living trekking poles", staying close by your side as you travel. They're there to support you when you're weak, to help you maintain your balance, to relieve the pressure when the climbing is tough. It's one of the great gifts the Lord has given us.

Paul spoke often of this blessing. Consider this example: "Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:1,2).

None of us are hiking on a level trail. Sometimes we encounter steep hills to climb, and obstacles over which we must cross. Can we do it alone? Maybe. But God promises His help as we travel, and He has also given us Christian brethren to assist us. Get to know the helpful friends near you.

Timothy D. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment