Friday, August 16, 2013

MAKING THE RIGHT KIND OF "DIFFERENCE"



The following story comes from John Shay, Sr.:

     A group of dinner guests were sitting around a table discussing life.  A CEO decided to explain the problem with education.  He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"  He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers: "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

     To stress his point, he said to another guest, "You're a teacher, Susan.  Be honest. What do you make?"

     Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness, replied, "You want to know what I make? I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.  I make a C+ student feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.  I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.

     "You want to know what I make? I make kids wonder. I make them criticize.  I make them apologize and mean it. I make them write. I make them read, read, read. I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English. I make them understand that, if you have the brains and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

     Susan paused and then continued. "You want to know what I make? I make a difference. What do you make?"

I guess I'm asking you to stop and think about your life. We tend to roll through life hour by hours and day by day just going through the same routine. We have our jobs and family that keep us busy of course, but is that all there is?

Some do make a difference in the daily things in life. Some have loved ones that require extended time because of their health issues. Some have children that are special needs. Some are involved in volunteer community projects. All of those things are great, all of those things are necessary, but what is the point of your life and all you do if it is not to direct others towards God.

That's the difference we need to be making. All of the things we do should have at the very center, the idea that folks will recognize our trying to live for God, and praise him for what we are doing! Yes, I realize that the things we do are not done for recognition or praise, but they should be. Not "self recognition", but "God Recognition". That's why what Jesus said in Matthew 5:14-16 is so important to giving us direction in life. There Jesus said, "You are the light of the world, like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father." (NLT)

So, how are you doing? Are you making the right kind of difference?

Russ Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment