Thursday, November 14, 2013

Alexander Tsiaras - "TED Talks"

There's an air of excitement in my home that hasn't been there in awhile. My wife and I are getting more anxious as the projected date of arrival for our newest grandson grows closer. We've been through this three times before, and each time has been special. Now it's our daughter, our youngest, who is about to present us with a fourth grandson.

Even when the birth of a child is not within your personal circle, it's an amazing phenomenon. A few months ago I came across a video that I have recommended to several. Alexander Tsiaras is the presenter on this "TED Talks" video, and he discusses modern imaging techniques that allow us to watch the development of the fetus inside its mother's womb. (Go to http://youtu.be/fKyljukBE70 to see it.)

Tsiaras, who is obviously a gifted scientist, goes into detail about the development of the child. Early in his presentation he observes how collagen is found throughout the body. But in only one part of the body does its structure change, and that's in the cornea of the eye. In that one place only does collagen become transparent - a handy spot to have transparent tissue! At that point Tsiaras makes this comment: "It was hard not to attribute divinity to it."

David had no such hesitancy to attribute divinity to the formation of life in the womb. He wrote: "For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works" (Psalm 139:13,14). Children, even before they are born, declare to us how great God is.

I frankly can't imagine the thrill of knowing that there is another person undergoing construction inside of my body. But, then again, that's a challenge I've been given.

The New Testament is clear about the importance of having a life centered around Christ. But it goes farther than "centered around". Here's how Paul stated the aim in Colossians 1:27: "To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."

Christ in me? That's exactly what the New Testament teaches, and to attain that goal is to have "the hope of glory". But how can I hope to have Christ in me?

Paul answers our question in Galatians 4:19: "My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you." The formation of Christ in us is a process. Each day He should grow in our lives, exerting more influence over our thoughts, words and actions. In time, perhaps people will come to see Christ when they see me. Amazing!

Timothy D. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment