Friday, April 22, 2016

Things people fear



You Are Afraid Of What?

I used to be afraid of the basement in the house where I grew up. There, I said it. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, right? Of course, I was really young back then…we moved into the house when I was twelve. Okay, so I wasn’t really young, but it was still scary.

I wasn’t afraid of the entire basement, just one spot. Once I was past that spot, I loved the basement. It was cool in the summer. It was more private than a lot of the house (when there are 10 kids in the family it’s hard to find a place to be alone). And it was where the ping pong table was. So, the basement was great, once I got past the one spot.

So, you are wondering, “what was that spot?” Well, when you came down the stairs, the basement opened to the right into the large family room. But on the left at the bottom of the stairs, was a door to the utility and storage part of the basement. And the door to that area had a hole cut in it that allowed the cats to get to their litter box.

So, why would a hole cut in the door scare me so much? It wasn’t the hole that scared me, but what might reach through that hole. All I could think about was that how something was going to reach through that hole, grab me, and drag me through the hole, off to who knows where! So, whenever I had to pass by that door, adrenaline would kick into my system and I would race by the door.

I know you are laughing at me now, aren’t you. Don’t deny it. I can hear you all the way over here. You’re saying, “How silly to be afraid of something like that! What are the chances that something is going to be in your basement that is able to pull you through a small hole and make you a prisoner for the rest of your life?”

Okay, you’re right, it is rather silly to be afraid of something like that. But let me turn the tables on you. What are you afraid of? The dark? Something under the bed? Dating? Marriage? Losing your job? Losing your health? Growing old? Not having enough money in retirement? Are all those things likely to happen? Probably not. Might there be something to be afraid of in each of those situations? Perhaps. Will worrying about any of those things help insulate you from them? Not a bit.

When Joshua was about to lead God’s people into the Promised Land, I am sure there were a lot of things that must have caused him to pause in fear. There were walled cities, trained and well-equipped armies, not to mention the sheer size of the area to be conquered. Fortunately for Joshua, God had a message for him. God said, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)

God has made the same promise to us. He will be with us always. That’s the only way we will be able to face our fears and overcome them. That’s the only way we can live in the present and not worry about the future. An old familiar saying may sound trite, but it is so true: I don’t know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future. Because of that, I can trust in God and not be so afraid. How about you?

David Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment