Thursday, March 14, 2013

Psalm 90:9

Psalms 90:9 "For all our days are passed away in thy wrath: we spend our years as a tale that is told."

 

There are a number of passages in God's word that put a special emphasis on the brevity of life (James 4:14, Job 14:1, 1 Samuel 20:3). Just realizing how brief our life is should inspire us to savor each moment of our existence on this earth. I will soon be 79 years old. That does seem like a long time yet I know that it is really only a brief period on time. As I think back over the years, I recall the moments of success, days of joy and happiness. I also remember those occasions of agony, defeat, and failure. All things considered, life has truly been grand. I cannot seem to get the words of a grand old song out of my mind: "Living below in this old sinful world, Hardly a comfort can afford, Striving alone to face temptations sore, Where could I go but to the Lord". Perhaps it is here that we should meditate on the words of the Psalmist: "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply wisdom to our hearts" (Ps. 90:12). But it is the third verse of that grand old song that keeps running through my head: "Life here is grand with friends I love so dear, Comfort I get from God's own word, Yet when I face the chilling hand of death, Where could I go but to the Lord".

 

Some time ago I came across a small magnet that had written on it these words:  "When you are over the hill, time passes quickly". There was a time in my life when time seemed to move so slowly but not anymore. Every tick of the clock, every new sunrise is a reminder that I am getting older and the time of my departure is getting closer. So it is with each of you. We are strangers and pilgrims on this earth (1Peter 2:11, Hebrews 11:13). We are nothing more that sojourners in this world (1Peter 1:17). Our citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20-21). So long as we live in this world we are not at home!!

 

The words of another beautiful song come to mind: "Slowly we are turning life's pages. How will you use God's golden moments? Will you reap glory or will you reap tears". Here I think of Gal. 6:7-8, "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap—sow to the flesh, reap corruption, sow to the spirit and reap life everlasting".  Perhaps all of us should pause for a moment and consider what we are sowing. How are we using these golden moments?

 

It is imperative that we understand time is swiftly passing by and like the Psalmist says, one day we will fly away (Ps. 90:10). When will this be? I do not know the day nor the hour. Neither do you. I do know that the reservation has been made (Heb. 9:27) and it won't be too long until this short life will come to an end. When life here ends, there awaits one of two destinies for us: Hell (Matt. 25:30, Rev. 21:8, 2 Thess.1:7-10) or Heaven (Rev. 14:13 Rev. 21:4)

 

As you enjoy life today, make absolutely sure that you include plans for the eternity that is too come. It doesn't matter how old or how young you may be in terms of years, that day is near (1 Sam. 20:3). Will you be ready?—Matt. 7:24-25, Rom. 10:17, Mk. 16:16,Luke 13:3, Matt. 10:32-33, Acts 8:37, Acts 2:38, 1 Pet.3:21, Matt.10:22, Rev.2:10)

 

Charles Hicks

 

No comments:

Post a Comment