Saturday, March 2, 2013

What is the best verse in the Bible?

Do you have a favorite Bible verse? One that just seems to fit you? One that seems to give you comfort or solace when things maybe aren't going just right in your life? I think that most of us do have that one verse, or perhaps a few of them that serve us well in our troubling times. I'd like to give you mine and then discuss it for a few moments with you. Perhaps, after our discussion, it will become yours.

What provided me with the impetus for this topic today is something I noted the other day in a little piece written by Bro. Lawson. In it, he cited a scripture and mentioned that it was one of his "favorite" scriptures in the Bible. That immediately brought to mind my favorite verse and the germ of an editorial started forming in my mind and caused me to wonder if everyone had a favorite. Let me share mine with you at this point and then we'll go from there.

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world." John 16:33 (ESV)

I'd like you to consider this verse with me as I sort of dissect it and, by doing so, you'll see why it's my favorite. The first thing we need to look at in this study is the phrase "these things." What are "these things" Jesus has said to them? The short answer is; the words and thoughts found in the preceding verses that He's recently told His disciples for the purpose of preparing them for some soon-to-occur events.  Those "events" of course would be His arrest, trial, crucifixion, resurrection and His return to heaven.

Part of "these things" was spoken in verse 32 when He told them that they'd be "scattered" and that He'd be left "alone." However, He told them that, even though they would be gone, He would not truly be alone "for the Father is with me."

Also included in "these things" recently spoken by Jesus were some that were very troubling to the disciples. He told them that they'd have "tribulation" because they were followers of Him. That people might even kill them thinking that they were doing a "service to God" in doing so. (16:1-2) In verse 6 He recognizes that His words have caused them "sorrow."

In verse 12 He tells them that He had even more of "these things" to say to them but, right at the moment, "you cannot bear them." When we read verses 16-19 we see that, not only were they sorrowful, they were confused by His words about "not seeing" Him and then "seeing" Him. They pretty much said amongst themselves that "we don't know what He's talking about." In His answer regarding their confusion, He tells them that they'll shortly have "sorrow" but, "I'll see you again and your heart shall rejoice.

As I said earlier, the purpose of Jesus telling them "these things" was to prepare them for the troubling times about to come on Him and them. They needed to know "these things" in order to be able to see them through. That's why He told them "in me you may have peace."

"In me." Let's look at that for a moment too. It's like He's saying; You know who I am. (Vs. 15) You know where I came from and you know where I'm going. "I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father." (Vs. 28)

So, He's saying to them that, knowing "these things," especially their knowledge of Himself, they will "have peace." And, He's talking about TRUE PEACE. The kind of peace that the world can't provide. As a matter of fact, He says what the world provides is "tribulation." And we know from our Bible studies that their "world" certainly did provide them with "tribulation," don't we?

But He wraps up "these things" by telling them to "take heart." The King James Version reads "be of good cheer." When the "tribulations"come, and they will, be strong. Have courage. And then He tells them how and why they can have a courageous heart - "I have overcome the world."

Now, were those words of Jesus only for the disciples there with him at the time? Oh no, they were spoken for all His disciples for all times. "These things" He said to them, He said to us. Because we have to live in this world just like they did. We're subject to its "tribulations" too.

We are many times sorrowful, aren't we? Things happen during our earthly lives that bring us "sorrow." I don't have to name them, you know "these things" as well as I do. Plus, like the disciples there listening to Him, aren't we sometimes confused too? I can't speak for others, but I know that I sometimes get that way.

But, I'm not confused as to who Christ is and why He came to earth. As He told His disciples then, he tells me now that He "came from the Father" and gave His life to save all that believe and obey Him and that He "left the world and has gone back to the Father."

But while I'm here, I know that I'll have "tribulation." Sometimes it's like the old Morton Salt motto, "When it rains, it pours." Yep, this old world is chock full of "tribulation." We've got foreign wars going on with a lot of killings. We've got killings going on in our cities with some of them approaching a domestic war. Many are suffering great financial problems due to our economy. The news lately is all about the "Fiscal Cliff" we're about to reach. Personally, I think we should be more concerned about the "Spiritual Cliff" we're about to go over.

But here's why John 16:33 is my favorite verse of the Bible. Here's what I take from that verse. It doesn't matter where I am, where I might be "scattered," I know that Christ is with the Father and is not "alone" AND I know that I'm "in Him" and that I'm not alone either.

The "peace" that comes with that knowledge is the TRUE peace that the world can't give anyone. It's what gives me the courage to live in this world and face whatever comes my way. It's what causes me to "take heart" because I know who the winner is and it's not the "prince of this world" (John 12:31) it's the "Prince of Peace."

I believe it when He said "I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD." I believe that I'll "see Him again" and that my "heart will rejoice."

Myself and all of you will be able to take anything the world throws at us and come out the winner if we "take heart" and remain faithful to Christ because it's "in Him" that we "overcome" too.

Ron Covey

 

No comments:

Post a Comment