Sunday, April 14, 2013

Illustrations for procrastination

 

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

                        "Now is the acceptable time. Behold, now is the day of salvation."

                                                                                                                            (2 Cor. 6:2)

Our lesson today is based upon a word study. A word which I'm afraid that all of us are far too familiar with. I know that I've certainly practiced it way too many times and if you're honest with yourself, you'll probably admit the same thing. And, like me, you regretted it when you were guilty of its usage. Yes, my (our) study word for today is - PROCRASTINATION.

Let me just backfill your knowledge reservoir a little and thereby explain how this word came to be our subject lesson today. What recently happened to bring this word and its subsequent results home to roost, so to speak. And I've no doubt that, were we together, you could regale me with your own examples of the procrastinating times of your life. But, since I'm the one offering the lesson, I can only use myself as a lead-in to it.

I've mentioned in past editorials that we moved to a new residence about 6 months ago and had all the good intentions of getting all our "stuff" out of the old house and putting on the market. But, since we owned it outright, there just wasn't any hurry, no sense of urgency to get that done.

We'd lived there 37 years and I'm what some refer to as a "hoarder" but I rather see myself as a "treasure hunter." Needless to say, I had accumulated "much treasure" in those 37 years and they need to be disposed of. Well, you know how the saying goes, I'll get around to it someday. Well, all of a sudden a guy wanted to buy my house, it's in escrow and "someday" has arrived with a vengeance. All of this should have been done months ago but, I "procrastinated" just a little too long.

One of my Bible heroes is the Apostle Paul and I can now say that, at least in one aspect, I've caught up with him, nay I think I've passed him. I now have several "thorns in the flesh" not just one. My back hurts, my legs hurt, my necks sore, in fact I'm sore all over. I've got "thorns" everywhere. My point's easily seen here, isn't it? I'm paying for my "procrastination" and I don't have to tell you that I'm regretting it.

Ok, let's get into the lesson in chief. First, let's look at the word PROCRASTINATION a little closer. It's derived from PRO meaning "forward" and CRASTINATION meaning "belonging to tomorrow." Thus, to put off doing something until the future pretty much sums up the meaning of the word. Of course, we easily recognize the poor reasoning involved there, don't we? We're not guaranteed a future, are we?

Procrastinating is bad enough in our secular lives but, it's especially bad when it comes to our spiritual lives. Everyone recognizes that it's a bad thing. That we shouldn't "put off 'til tomorrow what we can do today" as the old saying goes.

I believe that saying fits perfectly with the lesson Jesus was teaching on the mount when He told his listeners that they shouldn't "worry about tomorrow" because it comes with it's own "worries." Therefore, we should take care of "today's" problems and not add them to "tomorrow's." You can read His words in Matt. 6:34 and check that I paraphrased His message correctly.

There are a lot of things wrong about "procrastination." Let me just mention a few of them as they apply to our spiritual lives. My first thought is, that it's a thief. A thief is one that steals from you and, when you really think about it, isn't that what procrastination does? When we put off our service to God, when we "procrastinate" about doing something that we know needs doing, aren't we stealing from God?

Another detrimental thing about "procrastination" is that it's a liar. It always says "tomorrow" but you and I know that much of the time that means "never." Sort of like the title words of a song the Statler Brothers used to sing - "Tomorrow Never Comes."

And, think about it this way - "procrastination" is dishonorable. This goes right along with the previous paragraph about it being a "liar." We can't honestly say that we'll be able to do something at a future time, can we? Someone once said "tomorrow belongs to those who will live in it." We don't honestly know that we'll be in tomorrow, do we?

Did you ever consider that "procrastination" is probably one of the best weapons that Satan has in his arsenal? The Bible tells us that Satan (the Devil) is the "deceiver" of the world (Rev. 12:9 & 20: 3&10). There are many lessons about "time" and here's another aspect of it. Satan cannot promise anyone time because he has no control over it. Time belongs only to God (James 4:13-17). Therefore, "procrastination" promises something which it cannot deliver, thus is a "deceiver" just like its father.

But here's the greatest negative about "procrastination" as far as our soul is concerned. By our use of it, it becomes a robber in that it can rob us of our soul. I wonder how many souls have been lost simply because they decided to put off baptism and obedience to Christ "til tomorrow"? How many have said, "Yeah, I know I need to be baptized and I'll get around to it someday" and never lived to see "someday?" I guess that it's a number that we will never know, but God does.

You know, I've never met a person who told me that they planned on going to hell. Of all the people I've met in my life, they've either not believed in God and hell period, or they somewhat believe but figure that God's going to save all the "good" people anyway or they are Christians who are saved.

Then there's the ones who are like King Agrippa who are "almost Christians." They just haven't made that final step that means salvation for their soul. They intend to and we know what they say about "good intentions" don't we? Like me with my old house, they just "procrastinate" and don't take care of business when they have the opportunity. I'm fortunate in that my "procrastination" has only cost me a lot of aches and pains. Their's can cost them eternal life.

Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment