Thursday, April 11, 2013

Song of Solomon 2:1

Digital photography opened my eyes. When I purchased my first digital camera about ten years ago, my world expanded. No longer did I have to purchase film, then pay to develop it. Just point, shoot and enjoy! And if the picture isn't worthy, just delete and shoot again. With this newfound power, I saw things in nature I had never noticed before.

One find that stands out above others is the bloodroot flower. I first noticed this wildflower about ten years ago while exploring a knoll near my home. I was immediately enamored with its striking white petals which surround golden-tipped stamens. "Purity" is the word that comes to my mind when I see these jewels. (To see a photo, go to http://joycaster.com/pb/wp_a8655ff4/wp_a8655ff4.html and click on the thumbnail you'll see on the fifth row of that gallery.)

And yet look where these blossoms come from! They grow from the forest floor, strewn with soil and leaf litter. Who would guess that such beauty could arise from dirt? Perhaps that's what makes this flower stand out so beautifully.

The same could be said of many other flowers, of course, all of which have their own beauty. Out of the dirt comes demonstrations of God's power and goodness. What people could never have imagined or accomplished, the Creator has made common; so common, we're prone to overlook the beauty.

Let me now transition to what I consider "ultimate beauty". It's not anything we can find on earth today, but it is a historical fact, attested by hundreds of credible witnesses. I'm speaking of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Out of the ground came a Flower more lovely than any other, and the benefits of this remarkable event continue to bless millions.

The event is suggested by an image in Song of Solomon 2:1: "I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." Most who are acquainted with Christianity will recognize that as an picture of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Though He was crucified on a Roman cross (and certified to be dead by an expert on executions - see Mark 15:43-45), He was raised from His tomb three days later (see Mark 16:1-6).

In the days following, Jesus appeared to more than five hundred individuals (see 1 Corinthians 15:3-8). Thus, Luke was not exaggerating when he assured Theophilus that Jesus "... presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs" (Acts 1:3). The evidence is compelling; Jesus really did arise from the ground. The tomb that held His dead body was emptied of its prize.

Because of this the promise of Isaiah 35:1,2 was made possible: "The wilderness and the wasteland shall be glad for them, and the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose; it shall blossom abundantly and rejoice, even with joy and singing. The glory of Lebanon shall be given to it, the excellence of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, the excellency of our God."

When I behold the bloodroot I see God's excellency. But when I consider the resurrected Rose of Sharon, His excellency is displayed with exceedingly great power and glory!

Come to the light God offers! Study His word, the Bible. Worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:24). Get in touch with us if you'd like to discuss these ideas further. Timothy D. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment