Monday, January 20, 2014

I yam what I yam

Every now and then I run across something that just causes my editorial juices to start flowing and when that happens you end up with a lesson such as you have today. I’m sorry, but I can’t help myself. As a wise person once said "It is what it is." Or, as Popeye said it, "I yam what I yam."

What got me all fired up today is something I read about a method of teaching that reared its ugly head in our school systems a few years ago entitled; "Values Clarification." This method is closely allied to and very similar in nature to a couple of other methods called "Moral Relativism" and "Situational Ethics." Throughout the rest of this lesson, for space constraints, these will be referred to by their initials, IE: V.C. or M.R. and S.E.

Basically, "V.C." is a system which places more emphasis on behavior than the study of old-fashioned things like reading, writing and arithmetic. More importance on "beliefs, values and behavior" and less importance on what is referred to as "cognitive skills" which are things that one has to actually apply their mind to learning.

Perhaps it’s things like the aforementioned V.C./M.R./S.E. systems that are a major reason why we’ve got so many kids coming out of school that have none of these "cognitive skills." That don’t know how to read or right and their "pads" and "computers" will do all their math for them.

Could it possibly be a factor as to why the students of this country are way below or behind in these skills than students of other countries? Or, could it have a major bearing on something that really bothers me - why our youth seem to be so callous and disrespectful to others. Why they seem to be the epitome of those the Bible refers to as "without natural affection." (2Tim. 3:3)

Now I grant you that lack of home life and proper parenting plays a large role here, but systems in our school systems such as V.C. (Et al) do not help the situation. It noted in the article I was reading about this system that many parent groups have recognized the failings and shortcomings of V.C. and have attempted to get it removed from their respective schools.

It was one of their points of opposition that really sort of brought this lesson together for me. In just a moment I’ll give you that "point" but first let me try and explain the basic premise behind such systems as V.C. - M.R. & S.E. What they say is that "each person must decide their conduct and behavior for themselves according to their own understanding of a given situation."

And then they go further and say that "no one else can either make that decision for them, nor impugn (condemn or take issue with) whatever is their decision." I don’t think that this is a valid philosophy for adults, but especially not to be applied to children. OK, back to the parent’s objection to it.

They said that "every child needs to be taught a simple, direct and strict code of conduct" and that code of conduct should include "morals." AMEN to that! Isn’t that, in essence, what God’s Word says about "training" children? It’s apparent to me that the purveyors of these systems either know nothing about the Bible, or they just wilfully reject it’s teaching regarding the education of children. I’ll just cite a few of those "words" for you.

In Prov. 22:6 we see where God says that we are to "direct our children on the right path." Why? So that when they grow up, they’ll "not leave it." It certainly doesn’t say to let them decide which "path" they want to take. And God also tells us that we shouldn’t fail to discipline our children. And even if they have to have their bottoms spanked, "it won’t kill them." (Prov. 23:13)

Do you know what is gained by this "discipline?" In Prov. 29:15 we read where it "produces wisdom" in the child. But this verse also shows us the result of NOT disciplining a child - their actions and behavior will bring "shame to their mother." I sometimes wonder how much "shame" is left in our society now. Oh well, that’s a topic for a future lesson.

Allow me to just provide some equations of mine at this point. The parent’s phrase "code of conduct" equals God’s "right path." The "right path" equals how we act or behave. In blunt terms, children cannot be left to their own "path" because they have no basis for knowing a "right path" from a "wrong path."

Unfortunately, the premise seen in Prov. 22:6 also works in reverse. It a child is not "trained" (educated) to have the proper conduct and morals, they will grow up with the idea that whatever "path" they choose, whatever type of conduct they want to exhibit is OK and this result shows us the fallacy of the V.C. system.

In the curriculum of the V.C. system a teacher is to ask the students this question: "What did your parents make you do yesterday that you didn’t want to do?" I don’t know how those kids answered that, but I know how I would have.

Let me preface my answer by telling you that my parents totally bought into the words of instruction we read in Proverbs 23:13 and 29:15. Then I would answer the teacher this way: I was made to do a whole bunch of things that I didn’t want to do.

I was made to get up out of bed and go to school when I would rather have stayed there. I was made to wash my hands and face when I saw nothing wrong with them. Usually accompanied by the statement that I "looked like an urchin." Not only that, I was made to put on clean clothes when the ones I had on seemed fine to me.

I was made to clean my room (you weren’t born in a barn) and on numerous occasions I was made to "sit up straight and pay attention when I talk to you!" Probably one of the most aggravating things I was "made to do" was "do the dishes." I could go on and on about things I was made to do and on some occasions, some physical encouragement accompanied the orders (if you get my drift).

Looking back on it now, I’m glad these "systems" weren’t around when I was in school. I’d have probably gone home and tried to enlighten my parents as to their old-fashioned ways of training children and then I wouldn’t be here today providing you this lesson.

Respectfully submitted,

Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment