Friday, January 3, 2014

Off-The-Cuff


The title of this week's article is defined as, "with little or no preparation; extemporaneous; impromptu: a speaker with a good off-the-cuff delivery." I once heard of a professor in one of our Christian colleges who was known for his impromptu assignment to the preacher students as they came in the door of the class room. He would hand them a slip of paper with a scripture printed thereon, and tell the student he had five minutes to prepare a short lesson. On this particular occasion a first year homiletic student was handed a slip of paper on which was written Luke 19:1-10, which passage has to do with the story of Zacchaeus. After careful consideration and meditation, the young man arose, stepped to the head of the class, and delivered his brief, but pointed outline. "Point one: Zacchaeus was a short man, and so am I. Point two: Zacchaeus was up a tree, and so am I. Point three: Zacchaeus made haste to come down, and so will I." The young boy received an "A" on the assignment.

Over the years several have asked me where I get my "seed thoughts" for my bulletin articles. Sometimes I will draw upon a passage I have read or studied during the week. On other occasions it might be a news item, or even a quote that I happen to come across that is worthy of passing on to others or something on which I want to elaborate. And then there are those times (like today) when my article is sort of "off-the-cuff." For eight weeks this past summer I have wrote some additional thoughts on the subject matter being delivered in our Wednesday night class. One lesson in that Summer Series was on 'Gun Ownership' from a Biblical standpoint. I must admit that I have never written an article, or delivered a sermon on gun ownership, so I do not feel qualified to even attempt to address this subject in my article this week. But there is something about which I think I am at least a little qualified to address, whether after considerable study, or simply "off-the-cuff." Let's pursue this thought about impromptu speaking, its value and its dangers.

First, the Christian is to be "ready always to give answer to every man that asketh you a reason concerning the hope that is in you, yet with meekness and fear" (1 Peter 3:15). Obviously, this requires previous preparation on our part. Study is a prerequisite to fulfilling this sacred obligation set forth by Peter. A faithful "workman" must handle the word of truth aright, which requires diligent study (2 Tim. 2:15). Good study habits will prepare the child of God for those occasions when he might be called upon to speak "off-the-cuff" about the hope he has laid up in his heart. The ability to speak impromptu is not the absence of knowledge about a subject. It is, rather, the ability to recall what has been laid up in our heart from some previous occasion. When I was a young preacher I would sit in amazement as I listened to some great preachers deliver their sermons without notes (or at least what appeared to be without notes). They were said to "preach from the overflow." Occasionally I have deviated from my intended sermon to speak impromptu on another matter that felt was pressing; but this does not mean that I was speaking without knowledge previously gained in personal study.

Second, impromptu speaking is something that most of us practice every day. Do we not find it easy to talk about those things that really interest us, and with which we spend a lot of time? Why is it that some people can talk about politics for hours, but when it comes to discussing Biblical issues, they are as quiet as the proverbial church mouse? I have known members of the church who could name every player on the Dallas Cowboys football team, or the roster of the Texas Rangers, but who could not name the books of the Bible. Some can talk about fishing, antique cars, their hobbies, the weather, ad infinitum, but seem to have no interest in discussing spiritual matters. We do, indeed, speak "off-the-cuff" about those things we enjoy, and we do that more often than we might care to admit. Perhaps it has something to do with our priorities. Why not take a personal inventory and ask yourself what subjects you might find yourself talking about were you called upon to speak "off-the-cuff."

Third, speaking "off-the-cuff" is an every day occurrence for those who, for one reason or another, lack control of the tongue. James likened an unruly tongue to a "fire," and a ship without a rudder. Some are quick to gossip, slander, talk about others behind their back; all of which are evil demonstrations of one's ability to speak "off-the-cuff" about the faults of another. Sadly, once an impromptu remark is made, it cannot be recalled, and a great fire is kindled by a small spark.

Finally, whether you have ever been called upon to speak "off-the-cuff," let me assure you there is a day coming when you will be called upon to do so. All of us will give an account for every idle word that we have spoken (Matt. 12:36). We will be called upon to render an account for our stewardship, whether good or bad (Luke 16:2). Paul warns that "each one of us shall give an account of himself to God" (Rom. 14:12). Elders will be called upon to "give an account" as to how they watched over the flock (Heb 13:17). Peter tells us that we "shall give an account to him that is ready to judge the living and the dead" (1 Pet. 4:5). We will stand before the judgment seat of Christ to receive what we have done (2 Cor. 5:10). When our Lord comes to judge the world in righteousness, what response will I give to the Lord? Remember, there will no longer be time for preparation; our response will be impromptu. Or as we might say, "Off The Cuff." 
 
by Tom Wacaster

No comments:

Post a Comment