Sunday, April 20, 2014

New York City, Michael Bloomberg I’ve earned my place in heaven

           Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.”  (Prov. 16:18)
I hate it when this happens, but my editorial lesson plans for today have taken an entirely different direction from what I had originally prepared.  Sort of like when TV stations interject “breaking news” events and the broadcast completely changes its programming.  But, don’t feel too bad for me as the original lesson will simply be published at a later date.
Well, here’s the “breaking news” that changed the course of my thoughts and instead, has focused them on a lesson dealing with many facets.  Arrogance, ignorance, haughtiness, pride and probably more descriptors I haven’t thought about yet.  I think I’ll leave it to you to decide which category you like best and leave it at that.
In an interview with the New York Times, a few days ago on April 15th, the former mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, made some very interesting statements.  I should also note to you that he is also an extremely wealthy individual.  He said, “I’ve earned my place in heaven.”
He explained in the interview, that he feels that he has done enough on earth as mayor of New York to “earn” him a spot in heaven.  Now, there’s several things about his statements to the newspaper and his “place in heaven” assertion that pretty much “lit my fire” so to speak.  Enough to shelve the first editorial and prepare this one to replace it.
First off, without citing a multitude of scriptures, a soul’s entry into heaven WITH GOD is based upon a little thing called “FAITH!”  As in having “faith” enough to be obedient to God’s laws.  And that this “faith” is centered, rests, in the belief in His Son to the extent that His Gospel is followed.
Let me tell you why I bring up the topic of “faith” here.  Bloomberg prefaced his statement about his having “earned a place in heaven” by saying “If there’s a God......”  Am I the only one to see a major conflict there?  I mean, if he’s not sure of the existence of God, how can he be sure of His Son?  Wouldn’t you say that if one doubts the existence of God, thus by extension, His Son, Jesus Christ, that it would be hard for that one to have “faith?”  Seems to be a pretty easy equation to me.
But really, “hard” isn’t the word for it.  There’s another word that fits much better.   In Heb. 11:6 we read: “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.”
But, then again, he’s been the mayor of New York City and, like many a person of high position or noble rank, no doubt sees the rules not applying to him.  That nothing is “impossible” to someone of his stature and position.   Can you see the arrogance and haughtiness oozing from this kind of person?
Then the second thing that “fired me up,” editorially speaking, was his belief that he’s “earned” his entry, his “place” in heaven.  It makes me wonder what he feels that he’s done to accomplish eternal life in heaven.  Especially since he would be there “with God” who he’s not sure is there.  I wonder too if he suspects there might be a Satan and a “hell?”
This is just an opinion on my part, but I doubt that he does.  My opinion is based upon polls that have been taken regarding “heaven and hell” and they show that many people say that they believe there’s a God, but don’t believe there is a Satan.  That Satan is just a made up story, a “boogie-man” if you will, designed to scare people into being religious.
These polls also show that people like to think that there’s a “heaven” IE: a “good place” but they don’t want to contemplate there being a “bad place.”  And many people also believe that if a person is a “good person” IE: not a criminal, or at least not a “bad criminal” and that they’ve done “good things” in life, then God, who is the “God of love” will accept them into heaven.  Does this perhaps sound like the way Mayor Bloomberg thinks?’   My opinion - yes!
I’m hard-pressed to recall a more arrogant example of someone dictating to God, again who he’s not sure He exists, but that “if He does” then he’s “earned” eternal life.  The word “arrogant” equals “haughty” which is why I cited Proverbs 16:18 as a lead-in to this lesson.  I suspect that, should his arrogant and haughty way of thinking continue until his death, he will find himself, and all others who subscribe to this same pathway of thought, engaged in a “fall.”
You and I know that a “fall” implies a downward movement.  I’ve never seen even one scripture in the Bible regarding “heaven” as being located “downward.”   Conversely, there is a multitude saying things like: “heaven above” and those that say that Christ and many others “looked up” to “heaven.”  (Mt. 14:19)   That “fire came down from heaven” and that Christ will “descend from heaven” at the end of time.
On the other hand, “hell” is always seen in the Bible as being “downward.”  As in being “cast down to hell” or “brought down” to hell.  In 2Pet. 2:4 we see where the “angels” that sinned were “cast down to hell.”  Yep, old Solomon had it right when he said that the “proud” and the “haughty” were headed for “destruction” and a “fall.”
Reminds me of an old joke about the very rich man who, on his death bed, ordered his family to take all his gold & money to the attic and when he died, he’d pick it up on his way to heaven.  Well, he died and when they looked in the attic the bags of gold and money were still there.  One of the family said, “Maybe we should have put it in the basement.”
Based upon my study of God’s Word, I don’t believe that the proud and the haughty are going to “fall” into heaven.  Nor can they or anyone “earn” their entry there.   The word “earn” means to merit or deserve to receive something.  Think about it, what can we, the “creature” do for the “Creator” that would “merit” salvation?  Answer - nothing.
“Salvation” - “eternal life” - “heaven,” whatever way you choose to say it, is a “gift.”  And we all know that a “gift” is a “present.”  Or, as often defined, an “unmerited favor.”  In other words, something bestowed on us that we can’t buy.    Romans 5:17 says that the “free gift of righteousness” is found in one location: “Jesus Christ.”  Paul amplifies that picture in the next chapter by saying this: “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Rom. 6:23)
In bringing my thoughts to their end today, let me leave you with one more scripture to consider.  It’s found in 1 Tim. 6:17 and reads this way in the ESV.
   “As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy.”
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment