Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review of POMPEII movie

                                                          “I used to believe nothing of what I heard and only half of what I saw - then television ruined that.”        (Anonymous)
I’m going to borrow a phrase which the Preacher Solomon used several times in his sermon Ecclesiastes.  He would start a verse by saying “I returned and saw” which simply meant that he was again going to speak on a subject that he’d spoken on earlier.  That’s what I’m going to do today in “returning” to a great source of inspiration for our editorial lesson - things seen on television.  (Will Rogers did great with just the newspaper, think how good he would have been with television.)
The first thing I’ll mention is something that you may have also seen on your TV.  It’s an advertisement announcing the soon-to-be released movie “POMPEII” which is Hollywood’s idea of what occurred in the destruction of a city on the coast of Southern Italy.  This destruction was as a result of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in AD79.  What caught my attention in this promotion was a statement made by the narrator of this ad.  He stated, “For all their strength, they lived in the shadow of a greater power.”
The first thing that crossed my mind was that sometimes, even if by accident, television  gets something right.  It’s my opinion that, on most occasions, when TV actually airs something that coincides with the Bible, it’s by accident.   But, let’s consider that statement about the occupants of that doomed city for a moment.
Can we look in the Bible and verify the narrator’s statement about a “greater power?”  I believe that we can and I’ll start by recommending that you take a few moments and read chapters 38-40 in the book of Job.  Then I’ll direct your attention to something written by the Prophet Jeremiah in Jer. 51:15-16 “It is He who made the earth by His power; who established the world by His wisdom and by His understanding stretched out the heavens.  When He utters His voice there is a tumult of waters in the heavens and He makes the mist rise from the ends of the earth.  He makes lightning for the rain and He brings forth the wind from His storehouses.”  (ESV)
We know that “greater power” to be Jehovah God.  Yeah, the Romans might have been the mightiest power on earth at that time, but they were still “on the earth” that God created and exercises total control over.  They had only the power that God allowed them to have then and that same principle applies to the world today.  (Rom. 13:1)
But, the most important thing for us to remember about the power of God is this: His power goes beyond this earth.  He has the power to save our souls from sin and to take them to heaven where they will live eternally with Him.  It is He “Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: in whom we have redemption throught His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.” (Col. 1:13-14)
In the consideration of God’s power of all the natural earth we come to my second TV induced topic.  A couple of weeks or so back, while distressing over there not being anything worth watching on television and channel-surfing during this period of distress, I ran across a program that looked interesting.  This program was entitled “Bible Mysteries Explained.”
I thought, “What mysteries could they be talking about?” so I hit the “Select” button on the remote and found that their “mysteries” were the “Plagues of Egypt.”  Personally, I never considered them to be a mystery.  All of my studies regarding them caused me to believe that they were put on Egypt by God for the purpose of freeing His people from bondage there. 
And, I was aware that they escalated in severity until that freedom was accomplished.  Plus, I was aware that they were miraculous and wondrous and consisted of God using His power over the natural things of earth.  Yep, the reason I never considered them to be mysterious is because I’m a believer in the supreme omnipotence of God therefore I know how and why they occurred.
By the time I got to the program I had missed the first part but, what I did see shocked me almost beyond words.  (Obviously it was only “almost”)   Basically, their opinion was that all of the “mystery” of the plagues was “explained” as their being nothing more than “natural phenomenons.”  Of course they were “natural things” but, Who controls nature?
They couldn’t explain why these “natural events” just happened to occur on command of Moses and immediately after he told Pharaoh that a particular plague would happen.  But, it was the 10th and final plague “explained” by the program that is so representative of how people use “guesses, surmises” and “what-if’s” to say: this could be the reason something happened.  Of course, the underlying purpose of showing it to be a purely natural event is like saying “nothing to see here, folks.  Nothing supernatural, no mystery.” 
Well, here’s how they tried to “explain” the 10th plague, the death of the “first-born” of the Egyptians.  They said the 10th plague was caused by the 9th plague, “darkness” which lasted for a period of 3 days and also only affected the Egyptians. (Ex. 10:21-23)   They said that because of the 9th plague the soil of Egypt was contaminated and thus the grain was poisoned (in some unexplained manner).   I was totally confused by their tying the last two plagues together in the manner they did.
They surmised that, because the grain was poisoned, the alcoholic drink that was made from it was in turn poisoned.  There ya go, the poisoned liquor, which apparently every Egyptian drank, is what killed them.  OK, I know what you’re thinking here - Why only the “first-born?”  Here is the most “far-out” effort I’ve ever seen by someone doing their absolute best to “unexplain God.”
They said that the poisoned drink wasn’t “deadly enough” to kill someone who only drank a “normal” amount (whatever that was).  BUT, it was a custom at that time in Egypt to give the “first-born,” the oldest, a “double portion.”  ERGO, the “first-born” drank twice as much of the poisoned potion as everyone else and that was sufficient to have killed them.  I guess that they must have given the liquor to all their animals too, in the same proportions which would “explain” why the “first-born” of the Egyptians’ “beasts” also died.  (Ex. 11:5)
It’s beyond my ability to answer something as foolish as The Discovery Channel’s explanation of “mystery” of the plagues of Egypt.  I say again, it’s only a “mystery” to the unbelievers.  But, I also know something else.  No matter how much “they” try and “explain” away God and His power, there will come a time when He won’t be a “mystery” to anyone. 
                               “For as it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW TO ME AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL CONFESS TO GOD.”  Rom. 14:11
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment