Friday, December 12, 2014

Jesus Christ as a missionary



THE FIRST MISSIONARY

“So you’re going to leave?”

“Yes, father.  I’ve got to preach to them.  They need the good news so badly over there.  I have to go.”

“It will all be so different for you, son.  You may not like it there.  There is such a big difference between us and them.”

“I know, father.”

“You realize you’ll have to live in their world.  You’ll have to eat their food.  You’ll have to speak their language.  You’ll be called upon to share their joys and sorrows, their problems and their pains.”

“I know that father, and I’m prepared for it.”

“And the situation there is not good.  There’s political turmoil, the economy is bad, and the people are restless.  They won’t be receptive to spiritual things.  They won’t listen to you.”

“But some will, father, and if I don’t go, what will happen to them?”

“I know how you feel, son, and I feel the same way.  I don’t want any of them to be lost.  I want them all to know the truth and be saved.  I want you to go.  But you’re my son, and I have to be sure you realize what this means.  Do you understand the sacrifice you’ll be making, the risks you’ll be taking, the danger involved?  If you leave me you’ll be leaving our home, with its safety and security.  It’s your life we’re talking about.  Are you willing to give all that up?”

“I’m willing, father.”

“Then go, son.  And my love goes with you.”

And Jesus went.

-Dan Williams
Harding University
Searcy, Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment