Sunday, July 26, 2015

AshleyMadison.com



My editorial thoughts today have been inspired by several “hot news items” recently seen or heard in the media.  It’s these types of things that, when heard, cause me to grab my pen and paper and write them down because I don’t trust my memory to later recall them, but mainly because I see useful spiritual lessons to be drawn from them.  Today I’m going to provide you with my thoughts on three of these “hot items” and then back up these thoughts with what I feel to be scriptures appropriate to the article.

About 3 hours up the road from where I live is the city of Las Vegas, Nevada and I’m sure that most of you have seen some of their ads on TV enticing people to visit their city.  A city well-known for being a Mecca for gamblers and a place where morals can be very lax.  In fact, don’t we often here it referred to as “Sin City?”  It’s this city’s ads that constitutes item number 1.

Now I’m entirely cognizant of the fact that one can go there and not commit sin.  That they can engage in activities that are not of a sinful nature.  But, the city does not sell itself with the use of those types of activities, do they?  No, they do so by appealing to the baser nature of human beings and that’s what I’m addressing here today.

Their advertisements basically invite people to come to a place where one can dabble in sin and “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.”  (One of their ad slogans)   But, one ad that I recently saw and heard is the one that inspired my thoughts on regarding this “news item.”  What they said in this latest ad was, that by visiting their city, one could “Do the right amount of wrong.”

Let me just ask you - What is the right amount of wrong that we can get away with?  Just how far over the line are we allowed to go and still be a Christian?  The way that I see it, the simple answer to both questions is - NONE!  Many passages are available to back this answer up, but I’ll just give you two that I feel are sufficient to the cause.   

First, James 1:14-15: “But everyman is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.  Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin; and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.” And my second passage is in the 2nd chapter, verse 10: “For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.”  (ESV)

“Hot item Nr. 2.”  In the past few days there has been a news article regarding the website called “AshleyMadison.com.”  Hopefully none of my readers are familiar with it except, like myself, to have seen it in the news media.  Because, you see, it’s a website devoted to linking its members up with each other for the purpose of conducting illicit sexual affairs.  To facilitate the sin of adultery because its membership is made up of married persons.  In fact, their stated motto is: “Life is short - have an affair.”

Well, what made this website become a “hot news item?”  It’s because some “hacked” the site and is publishing, IE: “outing” some of the members.  Spilling the beans, so to speak, on the details of their “affairs.”  Of course, those members “outed” are outraged because their sins are being broadcast. 

Here’s my thoughts on this news situation.  Question - did they really believe that they could commit a sin and it be hidden from view?  How absurd to think that, even if not “outed” to the general public, that it would forever remain a secret.  Did they think that maybe God doesn’t have a computer and would not know about their sinful activities?

In response to this news item, most pundits responding to it are saying things like, “Why would someone trust their secret life to an internet website?  As if that were the foremost thing to be considered.  My questions is: “Why do you want to commit a sin of this nature ANYWHERE?  Just remember what God says in Numbers 32:23 where He tells us that if we sin against Him “be sure your sin will find you out.”  In other words, all the members signed up for this website’s services have already been “outed” to God.

Our third and final “hot news item” is the very recent exposure of the activities of an organization named “Planned Parenthood” which, basically, is a nationwide abortion clinic.  Even the name seems to me to be an oxy-moron.  What “parenting” are we talking about when the entity exists to perform abortions?  Looks to me to be an “Anti-Parenthood” organization.

In the news lately has been videos taken of meetings with two of their doctors discussing, calmly I might add over lunch, the killing and removing of babies from the mother’s womb.  The gist of these discussions is how to go about doing this in such a manner so as NOT to damage certain parts (tissue) of the baby’s body and thereby sell those parts for research labs.  IE: make money from them.

I’m hard-pressed to find the appropriate adjectives, nor a sufficient amount of them to adequately describe what I think about these two doctors.  The first one is the words of Paul in 1 Tim. 4:1-2 where he is talking about “the doctrines of devils” and describes those involved in such as “having their conscience seared with a hot iron.”

Plus, when I consider the consciences of those two doctors, I’m reminded of another passage of Paul’s in Titus 1:15.  When you consider the purity of a baby, especially one that is still in the mother’s womb, then tell me if you agree that this passage aptly fits this news item and the two principles in it.  “To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.” 

I can only surmise that, by their speech and their actions, (refer to Matt. 7:20) they would have to fall into the “unbelievers” category.  I just can’t imagine a “believer” engaging in such behavior.  And this concludes our coverage of some of the “hot news items” of the day.  If you have comments regarding this coverage, please do not hesitate to let me know.  All comments are welcomed.

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment