Monday, July 13, 2015

What does the word providence mean?



“Again, I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor
riches to the intelligent, nor favor to those with knowledge, but
time and chance happen to them all.”   (Eccl. 9:11 ESV)



On my last Wednesday evening Bible study class we touched upon a subject that I’ve always found interesting, mainly because I feel it to be many times misunderstood and/or misapplied.  I’m referring to the word “providence” as in the “providence of God.”  Preparatory to my next class, I thought that I’d talk a little this morning on that topic and thus provide a little heads-up, so to speak.

Plus, a couple of things occurred in mine and my wife’s lives this past few days that also provide me a little impetus on the subject.  She had her knee operated (arthroscopically) and I underwent a CT scan.  A first for both of us.  The reason that I see these events tying into our lesson here is because I believe the doctors that we have, with their wonderful skills, and the technical machinery available today, such as the CT scanners and MRI’s, are just evidence of God’s “providence” bestowed upon His creation, earth.

Have you ever noticed that when the word “providence” is used it is always in a positive or a good sense.   When we think of something occurring “providentially” it’s always a good happening, isn’t it?  Even the dictionary defines it in that way.  The first definition of the word is: “the foreseeing care and guardianship of God over His creatures.”

Now, does this mean that God, in a miraculous way, alters nature or events so that good things happen?  I’m not persuaded that God “meddles,” if that’s the appropriate word, in the general affairs of man in that He causes them to happen or not happen.  Let me explain myself a bit further on this.

First let me direct your attention to the passage we find in Psalm 115:16 where it reads: “The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord’s: but the earth hath He given to the children of men.”  Yes, God created this earth and everything associated with it and gave it to mankind.  This includes all the forces of nature that work in and on the earth.  To me, this explains why “the rain is sent on the just and the unjust.”  (Matt. 5:45).

Therefore it’s my opinion, and I stress the word opinion, that the “providence of God” has already been given to us in all of the beautiful, wonderful and blessed forces and all things associated with His creation of everything.  That by His creation, He set in motion the natural forces that we see working in our lives.  And that includes both the good and the bad.  Thus, as we’ve seen in Matthew and Ecclesiastes, we are all subject to the same forces of nature, IE: “time and chance.”

We hear stories all the time about someone having just missed being killed or injured by the occurrence of an accident or some natural phenomenon and, invariably, it’s stated “it’s the providence of God.”  And remember, the results always seem to have happened in a “good” way so therefore God must have intervened and saved them.  If that were true, then what do we say to people when some DON’T escape some tragedy?  That they were being punished by God?  I think not. 

The way that I understand it is this - that God “providentially” provided us with everything related to life on this earth and that, due to some action taken by a person, something having either a good or bad result comes from that action.  In other words, because of an action taken (or not taken), something that man calls “providence” occurs.  By the way we live or conduct ourselves in a lot of ways precludes many “bad” things happening to us.  Thus we reap the “providence of God” all the time and probably don’t even think of it that way.

Well, just what kind of actions am I speaking of?  As I’ve already said, by conducting ourselves in certain manners, we do not put ourselves in harms’ way.  But also, it may be just a simple action of deciding to turn on a particular street, or depart somewhere at another time and thereby avoid being involved in some tragic accident.  How about those people who for one reason or another missed their flight and the plane crashed?  Just remember Solomon’s words: “time and chance happens to all.”

But, I’m also aware that man’s actions can set in motion a string of events that seem to defy the thinking ability of our finite minds.  Even one little alteration during that chain of events can totally change the outcome, can’t it?  Instead of the result being of a “providential nature,” it can become one of a tragic nature.  What I’m saying is, that things  “down the line” can be completely changed by “time and chance.”

To help explain what I just said, I’m going to use the last portion of my space here and relate to you a little story that I believe illustrates it quite well.  And, it also involves the medical field of which I made mention of at the onset of this lesson.  It is a true story and I believe that it is applicable to our thoughts on the “providence of God.”

In the late 1930's, just prior to the start of WW2, there was a young man from Poland who was living and working in Austria as a flight instructor for a flying club.  When Hitler “annexed” Austria the young pilot decided that war was inevitable so he quit his job, took his airplane and started back home to Poland.

While en route, the plane developed some mechanical problems and he was forced to land at Vienna and remain overnight while repairs were being made.  He was just leaving his hotel the next morning ro make some purchases when a man ran through the front door, bumping into the young pilot and sending him reeling.  He grabbed the man and was about to “let him have it” when he noticed that the man’s face was stricken with fear.  The man kept trying to get loose and kept saying “Gestapo, Gestapo.”  The pilot didn’t speak much German, but he did know who the Gestapo were - Hitler’s secret police agents.

So, instead of lashing out at the man, he took him upstairs to his room and had him get under the bed covers then took off most of his own clothes, making it appear that he had just got out of bed himself.  The Gestapo did come to his room, demanded to see his passport and questioned him, but left without searching the room.

When the man came out from hiding he tried to talk to the pilot but, since he only spoke German, they had trouble communicating.  But, the pilot did understand that the man was a Jew and this even makes the story more interesting because, back in Poland, he didn’t like the Jews and he even belonged to an anti-Semitic organization.  But, there was no misunderstanding the man’s gratitude.

The pilot managed to convey to the man that he had an airplane that could take him out of Austria, but would have to land somewhere in a meadow to drop him off as he couldn’t take the chance of landing at an airport with him.  He managed to get him to the airport and told customs that he was just there to see him off and when the plane was running and ready to go, the man jumped in and they left.

Once in Poland, he landed in a large field, let the man out and gave him directions, plus some money and the man shook his hand and walked off into the woods.  When he flew on to the airport he was met by an Inspector who accused him of helping some escape from Austria and demanded to search his plane.  The pilot said, “Go ahead, and by the way, what was the person wanted for?”  The Inspector said, “For being a Jew.”  Since there was no one on the plane, they let him go.

The war came and the young pilot joined the Polish Air Force which didn’t last very long against the Germans.  He was captured by the Germans, but escaped to France and then later to England where he joined the Royal Air Force, fighting in the Battle of Britain.  In one air battle he collided with a German airplane and sustained some major damage and injuries.  Half-blinded by blood, he managed to fly back across the channel and crash-landed his plane near a hospital then passed out.  One of his injuries was a skull fracture and the chief surgeon at the hospital believed that it was severe enough that it would be useless to operate.

Later, when the pilot regained consciousness, he realized that a man was standing by his bed looking down on him.  The man asked, “Remember me?  You saved my life in Vienna.  The pilot asked him how he had found him and, noticing his white coat, asked if he worked there?  The man then said this to the pilot: 

“After you dropped me off, I made it to Warsaw and, helped by friends, escaped out of Poland and made it to Scotland.  When you showed me your map in Vienna I noted your name was written on the edge of it.  I read about some Polish pilots flying for England so I wrote the Air Ministry and found out that you were here.  Yesterday I read that a Polish hero had shot down 5 German planes in one day and then had to crash-land near this hospital.  It said that your condition was considered hopeless.  I thought that it might be you so I asked the Royal Air Force at Edinburgh to fly me here.  The pilot asked the man, “Why?”  The man replied, “I thought that at last I could do something to show my gratitude.  You see, I am a brain surgeon - I operated on you this morning.”

In closing, just let me remind you of our “chain of events,” brought on my our actions and the words of Solomon - “time and chance happens to us all.”

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment