Monday, October 5, 2015

Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them



My editorial today will be a lesson in miscellany.  I’m just going to opine on some thoughts that rattled around in my head and I’ve decided to take them from there and put them on paper.  Maybe we can make some spiritual gain from them.

For my first thought, I’m sorry but I just have to comment again on something regarding our coming elections.  I’ve noticed of late that several of the candidates are seemingly trying to “out-religion” each other.  Perhaps you’ve also noticed this reported.

My thought on this is in the form of a question: How can we ascertain whether their claims are true?  After thinking about it, my advice and answer to that question is to see what Jesus had to say about it in Matt. 7:20 in regards to whether someone is a sham (IE: a hypocrite) or not.

In that particular portion of His sermon on the mount, Jesus is speaking about those who “talk” a righteous game and tells His disciples how to know whether their speech is true or not.  What is the litmus test He gives them?  He says, “Wherefore, by their fruits ye shall know them.”

I’d say that if that’s the test for determining whether a “prophet” is speaking the truth or not, then the same principle should hold equally true with candidates for political office.   Before I leave this thought, let me add a couple of things that I feel is applicable to it.   First is something Thomas Jefferson said:  “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.”

And secondly, something God said in Psalm 33:12.   “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.”

My second little miscellaneous item stems from a thought that occurred to me as I was reading a passage a while back in the 9th chapter of Mark.  In the 33-34 verses we find that Jesus and His disciples were traveling to Capernaum and apparently while en route, the disciples had been disputing something amongst themselves. 

Jesus asked them “What were you disputing about on the way here?”  Their answer as to what subject was under dispute was: “Who would be the greatest in His kingdom?”  And that’s when Christ answered them by setting a child before them and told them, “Unless you become as a little child (IE: humble & guileless) you won’t even be in the kingdom of heaven.”

Now what whetted my editorial juices about this was to carry their disputed question to another step, another level and pose the question: “Who is the greatest sinner?”  I thought this might be an interesting question/thought.

Even though warned by Christ, in Matt. 7:1-2  to not judge others on the basis of human standards, we humans do have a tendency to look at those around us and judge them as worse than ourselves.  Perhaps this is because it makes us look better when we do so.  But, that’s “better” only in our own eyes.  Our view, or judgment, in this regard isn’t what’s important.  What’s important?  God’s view.

A good Biblical example to look at befitting this thought is the account of the woman caught in adultery and brought before Jesus.  (John 8:1-11)   And, you have to understand that this was what we’d call today, a “set up” for Jesus.  A test by which they could condemn Him regardless of how he answered their question on what should be done about her.

But, His response was far different from what they expected it to be.  He simply said, “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.”  (Vs. 7)   My observation and thought here is, that He might as well have asked her accusers “Who’s the greater sinner here?”

John says that they were “convicted” by their own conscience and simply left the scene.  I just think that’s a great question to ponder, don’t you?  Instead of arguing over who’s going to be the “greatest” in the kingdom of heaven, maybe we should consider who the greatest sinner saved will be.  Romans 3:23 says that “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”

So, who then is the “greatest” sinner in the “kingdom of heaven?”  I think that we find the answer to that in Luke the 7th chapter where Jesus told a parable about the “two debtors.”  In it, He asked Simon, which of the two debtors would love the master the most and Simon replied, “I suppose that he, to whom he forgave the most.”  At which Jesus replied, “Thou hast rightly judged.”

We’re all sinners in the “kingdom of heaven” - the church.  We’ve all “come short of the glory of God.”  And, we’ve all been “forgiven much.”  Maybe, we’re all “the greatest sinner in the kingdom.

My last little thought is based upon a quotation I read the other day.  It can fit in many places and scenarios, but perhaps in the realm of human behavior it fits best.  It simple read: “ A LIE DOESN’T BECOME TRUTH, WRONG DOESN’T BECOME RIGHT AND EVIL DOESN’T BECOME GOOD, JUST BECAUSE IT’S ACCEPTED BY A MAJORITY.”

--Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment