Sunday, November 15, 2015

Our world is dying from the lack of appreciation



“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which indeed you
were called in one body.  And be thankful.” Col. 3:15 (ESV)

I doubt if there is anything more helpful in raising spirits than praising or thanking others.  And, it’s helpful to both parties, you and them.  You may never realize how a simple thought of “thank you” effects a person, but trust me, it does have an effect, and as I mentioned, upon you also.

Someone once said that our world isn’t dying from things like the threat of war, the cost of living, the changes in government, etc, but rather it’s dying from the lack of appreciation.  I think that I agree with that thought. 

Sometimes it seems that we get so caught up in our daily routines and affairs that we have no time in our hearts for thinking of others.  For being “appreciative” of things we’ve been blessed with, especially by God and our fellow travelers through our earthly lives. 

That reminds me of a little truism I once read.  It said:   “We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” Think about that as we continue on with our lesson about setting our hearts to a “thankful” mode.  Let me tell you a little story about a college professor, we’ll call him Bill, and his efforts at doing this.

He said that he got to reflecting on the “un-thanked” people in his life.  Those who had helped, nurtured and inspired him along the way.  One of them was an early school teacher who had gone out of her way to instill in him a love of poetry so he wrote her a letter thanking her for having done so.

He received this reply to that letter:   “My dear Willie, (no one had since called him that) I cannot tell you how much your note meant to me.  I’m in my 80's, living alone in a small room, cooking my own meals, lonely and, like the last leaf of autumn, lingering behind.  You will be interested to know that I taught school for 50 years and yours is the first note of appreciation I ever received.  It came on a blue-cold morning and it cheered me as nothing has in many years.”

Bill said that he cried over her reply and was so thankful that he had taken the time and effort to say “thank you” to those “un-thanked” people in his life because he knew that there were many of them.  I would guess that we too have them in our lives.  If they are still with us, it’s never too late to “thank” them.

And, it doesn’t have to be done in “letter form,” but I personally think that’s a better way of doing it as a letter shows that we actually took the time and put forth an effort to tender our “thanks.”

Back to our beginning thoughts.  Do we get so caught up with everyday affairs that we forget to be “appreciative?”  That we forget to be “thankful?”  I can only speak for myself, but I think that we do.  How long has it been since you “thanked” someone for maybe just “being there” when you needed them?  Or, just took the time to tell someone that they were/are special in your life? 

I honestly feel that we all need to work on the capacity of our heart so that it includes a sense of “thankfulness” and isn’t all taken up with just the “grindstone” things of life.

Which brings me to the idea of how to develop a “thankful” attitude in our minds.  I think that our first need is to be “thankful” to God.  We don’t have the time nor the space here to list all the things we should thank God for so I’ll just refer you to Eph. 5:20, “Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” And also 1Thess. 5:18, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

I think those two passages pretty much sums it up as to being “thankful” to God.  Basically, at all times and for everything and doing so through Jesus Christ.

Now my point here is, how can we be “thankful” and “appreciative” to our fellow travelers if we aren’t “thankful” and “appreciative” to the One who makes it all possible?  The One in whom we “live and move and have our being?”  (Acts 17:28)

In my mind I equate a “thankful” heart to a “loving” heart.  I just don’t think that we can be “appreciative” of others without being “appreciative” to God first.  Anymore than we can love man and not God, or vice-versa.  A reading of the 4th chapter of 1 John, especially verses 9-11, will substantiate my equation.

In another 11 days we’ll be celebrating our annual Thanksgiving Day holiday.  Perhaps we can let the spirit of that occasion inspire us to be more than just “thankful” for the turkey, the candied yams and pumpkin pie.    That we can be inspired to be “thankful” to God for “everything” and then allow that to move us to making an effort to “thank” those “un-thanked” people in our lives.

Try it.  I think that you’ll find it good for both you and them.

--Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment