Monday, May 2, 2016

Names for the devil


Psa 26:1  Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.

Here is a solemn appeal by the Psalmist to the just and righteous God. It is probable that David penned this psalm when he was persecuted by Saul and his party. Saul has been hearing the words of wicked men who falsely accuse David of trying to take over the throne and also bring out many false charges about him. David appeals to God's righteous sentence. He knows that only in God’s righteous court can he be acquitted of those charges that his enemies have brought up against him.

Therefore, he asks God: “Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart” (Psa 26:2).

Only a truly innocent man would dare to ask God to examine him. Many men would tremble at the thought of God examining him and making known His findings in public. God knows our thoughts. He also knows the things we have done in secret. When we go to God in prayers, we could only ask for forgiveness and not acquittal.

It is good to know that God knows us. It means that when we are innocent of the false accusations that men may charge us with, we have nothing to be afraid of. Our Lord says: “Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake” (Matt 5:11).

Satan is called the accuser who accused the Christians before God day and night (Rev 12:10). He accused righteous Job of serving God for a motive: "Does Job fear God for no reason?” (Job 1:9). He accused our Lord Jesus as being a glutton and drunkard (Matt 11:19).

The devil hates righteous people. He hates those who refuse to do wickedness. The Psalmist is not one who walks with the wicked men: “I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked” (Psa 26:5).

The world will find faults with Christians. They are watching us and waiting for us to commit sin. They speak evil of our righteous deeds; they call it hypocrisy. Peter wrote concerning this: “Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you” (1 Pet 4:4). The International Standard Version (not a good version to use) renders it this way: “They insult you now because they are surprised that you are no longer joining them in the same excesses of wild living.”

We can be vindicated in God’s tribunal’s court. O that we can speak with such confidence as the Psalmist: “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting” (Psa 139:23-24).

God knows all that is within the heart. We are liable to deceive ourselves and think highly of ourselves. We need to see the Great Physician and let Him examine our hearts. His most thorough search would ensure that we be not deceived and miss the heavenly gates.

Examination is a scary word. But if we had constantly examined ourselves, we will not fear when God examines us: “Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!” (2 Cor 13:5, ESV).

Jimmy Lau
Psa 119:97  Oh how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment