Monday, May 2, 2016

No place like home



We are confident, I say, and are willing to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8)

Almost 64 years have now passed since that sunny day in June, 1952 when I graduated from high school full of knowledge and wisdom with a burning desire to be freed from the parental restraints of a good home I had lived in for 18 years. So, what did I do? I joined the United States Navy. Believe me,  after only a few weeks of boot camp I realized that I did not have quite as much knowledge and wisdom as I once thought and those parental restraints began to look pretty good. Yes, there were times when I longed to be back in that home. Over the next four years I did get to see a lot of different places, had a lot of experiences (some good, some not so good) and through it all learned some great lessons about life and living. One of those lessons, Wherever you go, whatever you do, with whomever you find yourself, there still is just no place like home.

As true as this may be in the physical realm, it is a greater truth insofar as our spiritual lives are concerned. We are only temporary residents of this world (1 Pet. 2:11, Heb. 11:16) and with the passing of each day, we are but one step closer to going home. Regardless of our age in terms of years lived, all of us should be looking through the eye of faith at the end of our sojourn here (Heb. 9:27, Eccl. 12:5-7). There is no fear in dying when there dwells within our hearts a confidence that allows us to truly say, For me to live is Christ, to die is gain (Phil. 1:21).

I have stood on the snow topped Great Smoky Mountains in the dead of winter and beheld a winter wonderland beyond description. I have seen one of the most beautiful Pacific Ocean sunsets imaginable. I have been privileged to hear the laughter of my children and see their faces beam with delight. These eyes have seen some marvelous scenes from nature and even the hands of me. My ears have heard some remarkable things but none of this even begins to compare with the glories of the home prepared for those who love, trust and obey God (John 14:1-3, 2 Cor. 5:1). No grief or sorrow will ever fill our hearts. No aches or pains to cause us anguish. No tear of frustration will ever dim our eyes (Rev. 21). It is a land in which we will never grow old, tired or weary.

For the faithful child of God, there just is no place like home!!--1 Cor. 2:9

Charles Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment