Friday, October 21, 2016

Christians and social media



The night before last (Tuesday) I dedicated two hours to systematically going through my Facebook friends list with one specific question in view: what are my fellow church members posting regarding current events? Why? Curiosity and to be informed.

I found many good things, and for that, I thank God.

However, I must say, it was, to say the very least, and all too very often - by no means an edifying exercise. I would certainly not recommend this exercise to the faint of heart and I would warn the depressed or doubting to not do anything like it. And, given the dates of posting, it was apparent that such matters have only increased in darkness and intensity over the past several weeks as a national election date draws ever closer.

It was as if I was witnessing points of light being dimmed, or even completely overcome, by darkness. (sigh)

As I scrolled and read, five passages of Scripture kept popping up in my mind, firing off like popcorn. What were those passages? Here they are (with my own application points inserted in all CAPS, within brackets).

Our Lord Jesus said ...

1. "I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter [VIA SHARING ON SOCIAL MEDIA]." (Matthew 12.36)

An apostle of our Savior said ...

2. "[POSTING] Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes [ON SOCIAL MEDIA] — these are not for you." (Ephesians 5.4)

3. "Let your [SOCIAL MEDIA] conversation be always full of grace ..." (Colossians 4.6a)

An unknown preacher, inspired by the Holy Spirit said ...

4. "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone [ON SOCIAL MEDIA] and to be holy, for without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12.14)

And our Lord Jesus' half-brother said ...

5. "With our tongues we bless God our Father; with the same tongues we curse the very men and women he made in his image [VIA SOCIAL MEDIA]. Curses and blessings out of the same mouth! My friends, this can’t go on. A spring doesn’t gush fresh water one day [OR POST] and brackish the next, does it?" (James 3.9-11)

And so ...

Let us re-dedicate our tongues and typing fingers to the Lord, my brothers and sisters. May we do that by re-dedicating our heart to him in repentance and profession of faith. Daily.

And may we never forget that along with our God who knows even the motives unknown to us that help give rise to our thoughts, feelings, words, and ways, a world full of people, yet to believe, are also closely watching us and reading us, along with brothers and sisters of greatly varying degrees of strength, burden, understanding, and maturity.

Let us not stumble, and let us not unwittingly lead others to do the same, or worse. Rather, may we be an example of humility and godliness not only to fellow all believers, but to all who are yet to believe.

Deliver us from evil, Lord. Grant us, by your grace, to rise to this occasion, reflecting your light, and by no means, or media, adding to this world's darkness. Amen.

Grace and PEACE, my fellow sheep.

--David Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment