Friday, January 5, 2018

Mathew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.




Do you know that we have more Bibles in the world today but less knowledge of the word of God? Yes, it is sad but true: Christians are not reading the Bible today! And churches died because of this lack of hunger and thirst for the knowledge of the word of God and for things that are spiritual. 
To "hunger and thirst" expresses a strong desire. How many Christians do you know who are hungry for the word of God and are thirsty for things that belong to God? It’s almost non-existent. Children of God are going about their daily lives not studying the word of God nor are doing the work of God: “For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's” (Philippians 2:21). 
What are the things that encompass in the word “righteousness”?
1. THE WORD OF GOD. The Psalmist wrote: “All thy commandments are righteousness” (Psalm 119:172). The Christian who is ever hungry and thirsty for righteousness is the Christian who is meditating on the word of God night and day (Psalm 1:2). Do you hunger for His word? 
2. THE WORKS OF GOD. God wants us to be fruitful in His kingdom (Matthew 7:19). He wants us to be “always abounding in the work of the Lord” (1 Corinthians 15:58). Are you a worker in His church? 
3. THE HOLY LIVING.He that doeth righteousness is righteous” (1 John 3:7). God calls us to live holy living (1 Peter 1:15-16). Are you holy? 
4. GOD. David says: “When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek” (Psalm 27:8). God said: “”Seek Me.” David immediately complied with the command. He enjoyed every moment with God: “I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD” (Psalm 122:1). Do you desire God in your daily living? God says: “Draw near to Me” (James 4:8). Are you drawing near to God? Do you hunger and thirst for His presence? 
5. THE THINGS THAT PLEASE GOD. When Christ says: “If any man will come after me, let him deny himself”, He means we are to submit to His will (Luke 9:23). As Paul said: “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me” (Galatians 2:20). Paul lived for Christ; he didn’t live for himself. He would do only those things that please God. 
When you say that you are tired and don’t feel like going to Sunday worship and Thursday bible class, you are self-pleasing and not God-pleasing. When you say you are busy with your work and have not the time to serve God, you are self-pleasing and not God-pleasing. When you say your certain habit is you and not even God can change you, you are self-pleasing and not God-pleasing; you are seeking your own righteousness and not God’s righteousness. The Christians who hungers and thirst after righteousness seeks to please God and do right in the sight of God. 
Jesus is not just talking about mere hunger, but about starving, an intense desire for righteousness. It is a continual hungering and thirsting. Every day we get hungry. Our stomachs start to growl if we don’t get food. It is the same with thirst. Likewise, in the spiritual realm, let us be hungering and thirsting for spiritual food and spiritual exercise every day. 
The Psalmist wrote: “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?” (Psalm 42:1-2, ESV). The verse has been made into a beautiful hymn. May we always are hungering and thirsting for God just as the thirsty deer panting for the waters.
 As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after Thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee.
 (Chorus)
You alone are my strength, my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee.

Jimmy Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment