Monday, October 28, 2013

What does it mean to redeem the time?

Ephesians 5:15-16 "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil."

Can you think of any better advice to give to a child of God today than that contained in the above passage? It is becoming more difficult with each passing day to live soberly, righteously and godly (Titus 2:11-12). The God we believe in and serve is ridiculed, mocked and scorned by masses of people throughout the world including our own nation. His word is rejected and tossed aside. We are surrounded on every hand with violence, crime, treachery, selfishness, greed, envy, jealousies, materialism, covetousness and immorality (2 Tim. 3:1-5, Rom. 1:22-32, Gal. 5:19-21). The world tugs at our heartstrings constantly (1 John 2:15-17).

It is imperative that we walk this pathway cautiously, watchfully guarding against the possibility of being drawn into a sinful life (Heb. 12:1-2, 1 Cor. 10:12-13). We must walk as people whose sins have been washed away (Acts 22:16) and are a peculiar people shining as lights in a world engulfed in the darkness of evil (1 Pet. 2:9-12, Matt. 5:14-16). As a child of God, we are a member of the Lord's church and whatever we say, whatever we do reflects in some manner upon Christ and the church.

It is not easy to live a faithful Christian life in a world steeped in sin and error. In reality, there has never been an age of man in which it was easy to live faithfully. But all is not gloom and doom. We serve a risen saviour and our trust is in him to guide us and keep us safe on this journey. So long as we carefully guard our footsteps and trust him no matter what besets us, we have no cause to fear because he will be us and lead us all the way home (Heb. 13:5, Rev. 14:13). We have the awesome privilege of being able to go boldly before the throne of God and find grace to help us in every time of need (Heb. 4:16). One of the songs we often sing says it so well, "O how praying rests the weary! Prayer will change the night to day, so when life seems dark and dreary, Don't forget to pray". If we trust and obey, our God will take care of us (Psalms 23).

Those who know me, know that my favorite song is, "I'll Fly Away". "Some glad morning when this life is over, I'll fly away to a home on God's celestial shore". O to be sure, sometimes my heart does become heavy and my footsteps become somewhat slow but I am not afraid because God is my salvation (Isa. 12:2). Today I walk with the King, though he is unseen, but tomorrow I will awake to behold him face to face and I will live on throughout eternity in a land where I will never grow old and joy will never end (Rev. 21:4). The anticipation of that day encourages me to be faithful to my Lord and is sufficient to sustain me in these evil days How about you?


Charles Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment