Thursday, May 22, 2014

Where to find the church described in the Bible

Christianity is fragmented into four major religions: the Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, the Anglican Church, and the Protestant churches. At the same time, these four religions are divided into hundreds and thousands of subdivisions and organizations.

            That’s not the Christianity I believe in. I believe in the Christianity that Paul defined as the “church of Christ” (Romans 16:16).

            I belong to the church of Christ because it has a biblical name.

            I belong to the church of Christ because this church was founded by Jesus.

            I belong to the church of Christ because it doesn’t have a central organization, it doesn’t have a Vatican.

            I belong to the church of Christ because each church has its own elders, deacons, and preacher.

            I belong to the church of Christ because its only law is the Bible.

            I belong to the church of Christ because it has a clear, simple, and complete doctrine.

            I belong to the church of Christ because it provides human beings with a perfect and complete plan of salvation as found in the New Testament.

            I belong to the church of Christ because its worship is based on the teachings of Jesus and the apostles.

            I belong to the church of Christ because of these and other reasons.

            I don’t want a Billy Graham Association. I don’t want southern, northern, eastern, or western Baptists. I don’t want Methodist or Pentecostal, Presbyterian or Episcopal.

            I want what I have: the simple and sound doctrine of the New Testament, the doctrine that the Christians of the first century believed and practiced.

--Juan Antonio Monroy – An Autobiography  (2011:  ACU Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment