Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself

 And the Lord God called unto Adam and said unto him, where art thou? (Genesis 3:9)

The first question recorded in God’s word is a very searching, provoking question. Adam had just sinned and conscious of his guilt was attempting to hide from God. Adam responds by saying, “I heard your voice in the garden and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. Even though I cannot give a definitive answer to this, I have often wondered why Adam thought he could hide from God. I know that he discovered very quickly that that all things are open and naked unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do (Heb. 4:13). Incidentally, this is a lesson each of us should ever remember. Adam could not hide himself away where God could not find or see him nor could he evade his responsibility. He had to face God and give an account for what he had done and ever remember, so shall we (Rom. 14:12, 2 Cor. 5:10, Acts 17:31). What a sobering, soul searching thought this is for you and I to think about. We can (and often do) talk about Adam’s answer to God’s question but the most important answer is the one you and I give to this question.

At this very moment, are you with Christ or against Christ (Matt. 12:30). You must understand that there is no middle ground, no half in and half out. You are either walking in the narrow way that leads to life everlasting or in the broad way that leads to destruction (Matt. 7:13-14). To be in Christ, you must be baptized into him (Gal. 3:27). Being in Christ is preceded by hearing him, believing him, repenting, and confessing him (Mk. 16:16, Acts 2:38, Rom. 10:10-11). This will put you in the strait and narrow but you must strive to remain on that path which requires being faithful by standing fast on every command, example, or inference that God has given to us in his word (Heb. 4:14, 10:23, 2 Tim. 1:13-14, Phil. 4:1). Isn’t it amazing how firm we are on hearing, believing, repenting, confessing and being baptized but slip so much on being steadfastly committed to our faith? Take note of the following passages—Matt. 5:16, 6:33, 1 Cor. 15:58, Col. 3:1-2, 1 Tim. 4:12, 1 John 2:15-15, 2 Pet. 2:5-9. Now carefully consider what they say: Let your light…, Seek ye first…, Be ye steadfast…, Be an example…, Love not…., Add to… Every one of these is a personal duty enjoined upon you and I by God in order to remain faithful. Being faithful will require that you hold on to your faith for dear life and never for any reason let go of it (Heb. 2:1-3, 4:1, 12:1-2). It will not be easy (1 Pet. 5:8) but it can be done (James 4:6-10).

 I can think of nothing that would be more dire, desolate or heart rendering than to be in this world without Christ, without God, and then to leave this world without hope (Eph. 2:12) Now, WHERE ARE YOU? Your eternal destiny depends on the answer you now give.

Charles Hicks

No comments:

Post a Comment