Thursday, November 20, 2014

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take



I PRAY THE LORD MY SOUL TO TAKE

Most of us have heard the old prayer that is taught to many children that goes something like this: "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." I learned this prayer as a child and we taught it to our children when they were small. It's easy to learn and teaches the concept in a simple way that God watches over us always. It builds our faith in a loving father that cares for us. It also, is often the first introduction our children have to the concept of death.

Some of us have been blessed to have that faith nurtured and it grows through the years. We trust in God for things which we really don't completely understand. That is what faith is all about. I like the way a modern translation of Hebrews 11:1 puts it: "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." (NLT)

The question that some have not yet been able to answer yet is: "What does God expect from me?" That is a very important question, because many believe that God expects nothing from them. They believe that all they have to do is knock on heaven's gate and they will be admitted, no questions asked. God's word is clear about keeping his commandments, he is clear about the morals and ethics that required by those who claim to be his children. He is clear about what it takes to be joined to him and to be sin free.

I really struggle to understand how some folks can think they can live anyway they want, do anything they want and still be acceptable to God.

Jesus himself said in Matthew 7:21, "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

I read about a preacher that liked to end his lessons with this question: "If you should die tonight, why God should let you into his heaven?" How would you answer the question?

Granted we are saved by the Grace of God and that is the only reason we will get into heaven, but still God expects us to act and live like we really belong to Him. That's our response to His love!

Russ Lawson

No comments:

Post a Comment