Friday, March 2, 2018

On the first Sunday each month,



 in our church bulletin, are listed the birthdays and anniversaries of our members that are occurring that month.  I celebrated my initial birthday last month (January).  But, I also have another birthday.  In fact, all Christians have two birthdays.  The day of their physical birth and the occasion of their “Spiritual” birth.

Do you recall Jesus’ conversation with a guy named Nicodemus?  Jesus had told him that if he had not been “born again” that he couldn’t “see the kingdom of heaven.”  Of course, Nicodemus asked Him how that could be.  Can someone go back “into the womb” and be born a second time?  Let’s just read the reply Jesus made to him in response to that question.  In John 3:3-6 He said:  “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one be born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.  That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”

We know, from the study of various other scriptures, that “born of water” is referring to baptism.  Here’s a few scriptures you might look at that show us this reference: Colossians 2:12, 1 Peter 1:23 and chapters 3, 4 & 5 of 1 John.  So, all Christians have two birthdays.  One, of the flesh, and the other of “the Spirit.”

Then there are some that have three birthdays with me being one of them.  Today, February 18th, I’m celebrating the 15th occasion of my third birthday.  I suppose it could be considered and anniversary also.  On Feb. 18th, 2003, a team of doctors and nurses removed my heart from my body, made some medical corrections (6-way bypass) and put it back in me.  During this procedure I was kept alive by a machine.

Later that day I woke up to find my body a mass of wires, tubes and staples - but, I was alive.  As far as I’m concerned, I was reborn so, every Feb. 18th I get to celebrate the 3rd birthday of my life.  I don’t remember anything about the first one and I remember my 2nd one occurring when I was 12 years old.  But, I really remember coming alive from the 3rd so I’m going to talk for a moment about these remembrances.

First, just the “waking up.”  Have you ever given much thought about “waking up?”  Probably not, as it’s pretty much something we take for granted.  Well, after this kind of surgery, “waking up” takes on a whole new meaning.  Trust me when I tell you that “waking up,” coming alive each morning isn’‘t taken for granted anymore. 

For the last 15 years I’ve been markedly aware of what a blessing it is to “wake up.”  You realize that God has blessed you with another day of life.  In fact it makes you more aware of all other types of blessings also.  We’re going to look at a couple more of God’s blessings in the rest of our time and space here today.

My second thing that I remember after “waking up” is that you have an appreciation of what we refer to as “little things.”  All of a sudden they’re not so little anymore.  Let me cite you an example of what I’m talking about.
I’m sure that we’ve all enjoyed some great dinners in our lives.  Maybe even partaken of some veritable feasts.  And, when I think of feasts, I think about what was said about the daily food intake of Solomon and his entourage.  (1 Kings 4:22-23).  Reading that, can’t you just picture what greats feasts and banquets he must have had?

Well, let me tell you that there is something so “little” and so ordinary that will rival any meal you’ve enjoyed or that Solomon ever hosted.  They’re called “ice chips.”  You see, after you have the sensation of “waking up,” and after you realize that you’re alive, comes another sensation.  You’re dying of thirst and any metaphor you want to use to describe a dry mouth will fit here.  “Dust pan, cotton-mouth etc”, you get the picture.

There’s only one major problem - they won’t allow you to eat or drink anything to keep you from having an upset stomach.  I don’t think that I can adequately draw you a word picture of what a problem that would bring about.  But, they will place a few ice chips just inside your lips.  I’m here to tell you that nothing was ever better tasting or more refreshing than those few little ice chips.  Makes you realize that our blessings come to us in all shapes and sizes.

The last thing I’m going to mention here today is “prayers.”  You know, Christians are supposed to be praying people.  I sometimes worry that we don’t pray enough, or that we almost pray by rote.  That we just say the words so routinely that we turn our prayers into afterthoughts.

Sometimes it takes a traumatic event to put prayer into its proper perspective.  I see this as another blessing during my ordeal of Feb. 18th, 2003.  That many of my faithful Christian brethren were praying for me while I was praying for the doctor.  It’s hard to express how reassuring it is to know that when something of that nature is occurring.

When I consider the reassurance that prayer brings as you’re facing a severe trial, I think about something said by the Apostle Paul.  I guess that it comes the closest to describing the effect prayer has in Christian lives.  In Philippians 4:7 he writes, “And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ.”

When you’re laying in the hospital and thinking about what’s soon to occur, and you know that you’ve celebrated your 2nd birth, you have “peace.”  And not just “peace” in general, but the “peace that passes all understanding.”  It’s the “peace” through Jesus Christ that will “keep our hearts.”

I truly feel sorry for the many people in this world who are facing things such as open heart surgeries or any other major life-threatening situation that don’t have the “peace of Jesus Christ” to “keep their hearts.”

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment