Saturday, May 16, 2015

How to make better choices in my life



Sometimes we need reminders of even the simplest concepts.  Yet, even simple concepts can be profound when truly practiced.  So, here is something that we already know.  We are the product of our choices.  You may rightly be thinking, “What about the choices of others that affect me?”  While circumstances and situations can rarely be controlled, character is always a choice.  Our character is the product of our choices.
The biblical picture of choice is also straightforward.  God granted us choice.  The evidence is overwhelming.  Adam and Eve had a choice (Genesis 3).  Their children, Cain, Abel, and Seth made choices that shaped them and altered their respective paths (Genesis 4).  The depravities of man’s choices are expressed well in Genesis 6.5.  “Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.”  Even in that atmosphere, Noah chose to be different (Genesis 6.9).  The nation of Israel constantly made choices (Deuteronomy 4.1-14).  Historically, many of those choices were not good.  We see the same ideas in the New Testament.  Jesus’ disciples had a choice to become fishers of men (Matthew 4.18-20).  Those who heard the words of Jesus made a choice of whether or not to accept and act upon His teaching (Matthew 7.24-27).  Even Jesus made choices.  Knowing His adversary, I imagine the temptations were just that – temptations (Matthew 4.1-11).  He made a choice which changed the history of the world in Matthew 26.36-46—he chose to go to the cross.
Our everyday choices mold us into the character seen in the mirror.  I can choose to be patient (James 1.4).  I can choose to be kind (Ephesians 3.2), even if someone else may not deserve kindness.  I can choose to show love (Matthew 22.39) to people who may not even love me back.  That even reminds me of Jesus.  I can put off selfish desires and choose to proactively be good to others (Galatians 6.10).  Finally, I can choose to humble myself (Luke 14.11).  Honestly, when I consider myself in relation to Jesus, how could I choose anything else?
So simple, yet so profound.  We are the product of our choices.  Since we make choices every day, let’s not forget to seek help.
Lord, help me choose right.  -- Rob Berghost

No comments:

Post a Comment