Sunday, August 9, 2015

Scientist claims immortality within reach



In regards to the latest news involving this author I’ll just tell you that having large kidney stones removed by surgery is not the most comfortable thing one can be doing.  Not only the surgical procedure, but it also includes all the other things included in hospital stays, IE: being awakened through out the night to see if you’re OK, tasteless food and lousy TV choices.  Thank goodness it only lasted two days and one night for me.

I told you that information for the purpose of explaining how I arrived at our editorial for today.  I had plenty of time to think about some things that we should take a look at and consider for a few moments.  There won’t be one general topic for today, I’m just going to touch on a few thoughts I believe will help us to see a spiritual application.

First off, tell me what’s wrong with this picture.  At least I hope you see something wrong with it and it’s not just me.  I was listening to a talk radio show host talking to a woman who owns a “drive-thru” wedding chapel in Las Vegas, Nevada.  She was saying that they have a pink Cadillac convertible that the perspective newly-weds can use for driving through their wedding ceremony.

Here’s what I’m referring to about this “picture.”  The owner, in talking about the pink Cadillac, said, “If they have kids, they can sit in front and mom & dad sit in the back to get married.”  Now, I realize that there exists legitimate circumstances in life wherein couples getting married may already have children.  I just didn’t get this mental picture when she made that statement.  I got the picture that, now that we’ve got children, maybe we ought to “drive thru” and get married.

Maybe some of you saw this news item that will be our second thought to consider.  The headline of the article read: “Scientist claims immortality within reach.”  (In a sense that is true, but let me finish with his claims.)   And notice, I said “immortality” and not “immorality.”  I’m pretty sure we’ve reached that level of existence.

He went on to state that they have a “cure for aging.”  See, that’s the kind of immortality he’s referring to.  The reason he gives for his findings is, according to him, “aging is a disease and as such, can be cured.”  For those of us now living in the latter stage of our lives, wouldn’t that be nice if true.

Is this another “Fountain of Youth” hoax?  Other scientists say that it is and I agree with them.  Some have also referred to our scientist making this claim as being a “quack” and I think that I tend to agree with that also.  But, as it seems that the majority of the scientific community tend to be non-believers in a Supreme Creator, I can easily see them not paying any attention to what the Bible says on this subject: “it is appointed unto men once to die....” (Heb. 9:27)

But, yes I did say earlier that, in a sense, “immortality” is within our reach.  Only it is not the “immortality” which our scientist is referring to.  In short, it is the state that a faithful follower of Christ reaches upon their death.  Please read the following passages offered in support of that statement: Rom. 2:7 - 2Tim. 1:10 and 1 Cor. 15:52-54.

And let me address one more thought on this subject.  Based upon what I read in 1Tim. 6:16 where the apostle Paul is speaking of Jesus Christ says this: “who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see.  To Him be honor and eternal dominion.  Amen.”  My belief in those words causes me to say that I think our scientist is speaking blasphemy.

Another little thought that came to me as I lay on my uncomfortable hospital bed was about things we sometimes hear our fellow Christians say.  Haven’t you heard some say, “I just can’t do anything.”  Isn’t that sort of a commonly heard complaint?  Yes.  Is it true?  No.

Why is it not a true statement?  Simply because every Christian can, and should, be a living example of whom they profess to follow.  Briefly, can you be honest in your earthly dealings?  Can you be truthful in your conversations?  Can you show love for the souls of your fellow man?  These are ways that Christians are required and obligated by scripture to be.  Living examples of Christian character and rest assured, the world watches and notes these things.  Especially if they are different from what you profess.

I like the words of Paul to Timothy in 1 Tim. 4:12 and even though they are first directed to Timothy, they are applicable to all Christians.  “...  But be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation (life), in charity (love), in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

I repeat, every Christian can and should do these things.  As a “chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation and a peculiar people” (1Pet. 2:9) we should “show forth” our “praise of Christ” by the way in which we conduct ourselves.  And James writes that we are to “show forth” our faith by our works, IE: the things that we do.  (James 2:18)

My last little thought stems from a sort of light hearted conversation we had in a recent Wednesday evening Bible study.  We were discussing a question about “swords” and someone mentioned the passage about “beating their swords in to plowshares.”  Actually, that phrase is found in three separate locations in Scripture: Isa. 2:4, Joel 3:10 and Micah 4:3.  Whichever passage they were referring to makes no difference as to what I’m about put on paper for you.

I recalled a statement I’d heard many years ago and, sure enough, I had made a note of it.  (The fact that I actually found it is a whole nother matter.)  A man by the name of J.D. CROUCH who at one time was a high government official serving in the Dept. Of Defense.  I see that information as being appropriate to what he had to say regarding our fore stated passages.  He said:

                “When you are in the process of beating swords into plowshares, you can’t fight and you can’t plow.”

--Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment