Monday, June 20, 2016

Everyone needs quiet time with God

Mat 14:23  And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.

Jesus had just performed a miracle feeding five thousand men with five loaves and two fishes. After that, He sent His disciples out to the sea of Galilee while He went up to a mountain to pray. It shows us one important lesson: At times we need to send away everyone to spend quiet times in prayers to God and meditation on His holy word.

Everyone needs a quiet time with God. When was the last time you spent a quiet time with God?

Quiet time, or devotion time, refers to our daily appointment with God, when we shut out as much outside interference as possible – the TV is off, the music is off, the washing machine is running on auto, and the stoves are off. Every Christian has to create his own quiet time with God. During this quiet time, he may sing praises to God, pray, read a passage of the Scripture, meditate on God's Word, or read a devotional written by someone else and ponder over the thoughts that were written and how he can apply them to himself.

Unfortunately, one of the hardest things for most Christians is to find a quiet time to be with God. It is almost impossible for many to find a consistent daily time with God. Making that appointment is one thing; keeping it is something else entirely! The devil wants to keep us away from having quiet times with God.

When we talk about interpersonal relationship, everyone knows that to be close to someone, one must spend time with him or her. There is no substitute for spending time; one can’t replace it with money or gifts. A father has to spend time to talk to his children to get close to them. He can buy them everything they want; but it cannot replace spending quality time with them.

The same is true in our relationship with the Lord. The only way to be close to God is to get close to Him: “Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you” (James 4:8).

The Psalmist said: “O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day” (Psalm 119:97). To the Psalmist, spending time meditating on the word of God is not something that is burdensome or a duty that is forced on him. He just loved doing it and he could spend the whole day in it.

The morning quite time is a discipline I take upon myself. I have learned to love this quite time. It gives me the meaning what meditation on God’s word really means. It means pondering on the word of God and trying to find how it can apply to our lives. I get so much out from the word of God than if I were to simply read a chapter and deceiving myself that I have done my duty in reading the bible.

Spending time with God in this way helps me get to know Him better. I learn more about His words and how it can enrich my life. I learn to view life and people differently, and my perspective matures as I allow His thoughts pervade mine. My understanding of His word increases and I grow and become a better bible class teacher and servant.

Jesus set the example for us concerning quiet time. He took time to connect with the Father regularly, as the following Scriptures tell us:

Matt 26:36 (ESV)  Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to his disciples, "Sit here, while I go over there and pray."

Mark 1:35 (ESV)  And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.

I hope you can find your own quiet time. You have to find what time of the day works best for you. You have to create your own “sacred place.” You have to find a method that suits you best – a book, a chapter, a verse, or a daily devotion written by someone else.

Quiet time is the time spending with God reading His word and engaging in prayers to Him. It is a time we shut down every other thing to focus on God. It is a time of fellowship with God and enjoying the Father-Child relationship. May you desire God daily and find your quiet time in fellowship with Him. “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer” (Psalm 19:14).


Jimmy Lau
Psa 119:97  Oh how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment