Sunday, June 19, 2016

Free bulletin articles for Fathers Day



Today is “Father’s Day,” not only here in the United States, but also celebrated in most of the countries of the world.  It’s the day set aside to remember and honor our dads especially those whose fathers are still living.  My father went home many years ago and I still miss him.  I think that we grow to miss our fathers more as we age ourselves.  Probably because he’s not there to share the good times and special experiences we have in our lives.  How many times have you (and I) said, “I wish dad could have seen this, or been here?”

But, whether your father is still living or has passed, we remember them and how they affected our lives.   Did you ever pause to consider what a great blessing it is that we possess the ability to “remember?”  That man is the only creature of God that has that ability?  How sad it is to think about what life would be like without that faculty.

Of course, we all have different degrees of that ability, don’t we?  I jokingly tell people that “many can remember half of what they’ve experienced, and some can even remember three-fourths of what they’ve learned.  But my wife has the best memory of all because she can remember things that never happened.”  Like I said, I say that “jokingly.”  (But still.......?)

In preparation for writing this editorial, I did a rough count of the times we find the word “remember” in the Old Testament, as in where God told Israel “to remember.”  Roughly, it was 43 times with the majority of them being when God told them to “remember” His law and commandments.  Or some particular event wherein He had “delivered” them from various situations. 

The reason for His continuing admonishment to “remember” is because He knows His creature man and his propensity to forget.  One of man’s major mistakes is to apply his abilities and emotions to God and think that He will also “forget” something.  Even though we may “forget” Him, and many do, if we’re righteous, He will not “forget” us.  (Isa. 49:15)

As to Israel “remembering” God, to their great detriment, they got away from the continual “reminding” of Him and all that He had done for them and one of the saddest pictures painted of them is found in Judges 8:34 where we read: “And the children of Israel remembered not the Lord their God, who had delivered them out of the hands of all their enemies on every side.”

Here’s a question for you: do you think that we can be like ancient Israel and “forget” God?  Absolutely, especially if we don’t continually bring to memory the great and wonderful things that God has blessed us with.  We have to heed the advice given to Israel and strive to always “remember” what our “heavenly Father” has done for us.

I once read the following little item in a small-town newspaper.  I don’t know the author’s name but he/she certainly said a mouthful when they penned these words: “It is not what people eat, but what they digest that makes them grow.  It is not what they read, but what they remember that makes them learned.  It is not what they profess, but what they practice that makes them righteous.”

The term “practice” as used in the above paragraph has the definition of being  “prepared.”  To “exercise” or “condition” oneself which implies that we do it on a continual basis.  Which is exactly why we continually study God’s Word so that we won’t become like Israel of old and “forget” God.

So that we always “remember” our “heavenly Father” and that we do so each and every day rather than just one day per year.  As our earthly fathers provided for us and gave us many, many things, let’s never “forget” what God has given us.  His “only begotten Son.”  (John 3:16) And why did He do that?  The answer is found in the following verse (17) “....but that the world through Him might be saved.” 

Wouldn’t you say that His sacrifice of His Son in order that man doesn’t have to “perish, but have everlasting life” is by far the greatest gift a Father ever gave to His children?  I certainly do and should we “forget” this “gift” we have a very ominous future ahead of us.  Israel did so and I think that we can read and know what God had to say about it: “Therefore, behold, I, even I, will utterly forget you, and I will forsake you, and the city that I gave you and your fathers, and cast you out of my presence: and I will bring an everlasting reproach upon you, and a perpetual shame, which shall not be forgotten.”  (Jer. 23:39-40)

It’s reported that it is most inconsiderate to greet someone with the question, “Do you remember me?”  The great Winston Churchill had a response for that particular question when he was asked it.  He said, “Why, should I?”  I just hope and pray that, when I face my Father at judgment, His response isn’t the same as Winston’s.

For the close of today’s message, let’s return to some thoughts regarding our “earthly fathers” for a moment.   Here’s a little poem written by Ogden Nash that fits with our earthly families and thoughts about our fathers no longer with us.

    When I remember bygone days,
        I think how evening follows morn;
    So many I loved were not yet dead,
        So many I love were not yet born.

Let me leave you with one last passage relative to our thoughts today and it’s found in Psalm 103:17-18.

“But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear Him and His righteousness unto children’s children; to such as keep His covenant, and to those that remember His commandments to do them.”

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment