Monday, June 13, 2016

Lord, who lends me life, lend me a heart replete with thankfulness.” (From the play Henry V, Part 2 by William Shakespeare)



My topic for today can be expressed in one word - “gratitude.”  Interestingly, the word “gratitude” isn’t found in the English translations of the Bible (at least in all the ones I checked) and yet the character of a Christian speaks directly to our being “grateful” for what we’ve been blessed with.  The word “thankful” is used and carries the same meaning as “gratefulness.”

I guess that one of the things about some people that really sets me off, that’s like fingernails on a blackboard to me, is the lack of appreciation or “gratitude” shown for something done for them.  It just seems to me that more and more people are not “grateful” towards others for deeds done or services rendered to their behalf.  Perhaps a lot of our society has developed a sense of entitlement and figures that everything is owed to them.

I see this attitude cropping up quite often lately, what with people running for political office and basically promising everybody everything for free.  I truly believe that this attitude, this way of thinking, goes along way towards the destruction of a nation.  I further believe that society is far better off when it possesses a nature of thankfulness for its blessings.

Just below the greatest blessing of all, the sacrifice of His life on the cross by our Savior Jesus Christ, at least in my estimation, is the lives and health of our armed forces sacrificed for our nation’s freedom and well-being.  How do we repay the love shone for our country by their sacrifices?  (John 15:13)   In thinking about that question I’m reminded of something Benjamin Franklin once said that is so appropriate to the answer of it.  He wrote: “The heaviest debt is that of gratitude, when it is not in our power to repay it.”

Oh, we try to recompense them in several ways but none of them are adequate to my way of thinking.  With the same line of thinking, how do we repay God for all that He has blessed us with, up to and including the life of His Son?  What could we possibly give Him that would be a worthy recompense?  The only answer that I can come up with is this: to possess a grateful heart, obey His word and the “giving thanks always for all things unto God....”  (Eph. 5:20)

I’m reminded of a couple of hymns we sometimes sing in worship that has lyrics befitting our thoughts today.  One of them is entitled “More Holiness Give Me” and we note is that the 2nd stanza begins with the request “More gratitude give me.”  I believe that all of us can pray for that because I also believe that we all fall short in the area of being grateful, being “thankful” sometimes.

The other hymn that reminds me of how we are sometimes lacking in showing our appreciation to God is the old familiar “Count Your Blessings.”  I’ll bet that if we really did “count them one by one” we’d be most surprised “at what the Lord has done.” 

In prior lessons I’ve mentioned that many times we can learn a positive lesson by looking at the situation in reverse.  In a negative sense, so to speak.  A good example of this is the account in Luke 17 of Jesus healing 10 lepers.  Read verses 12-19 and tell me how many of them thanked Him for being healed of the most dreadful disease of that day and age.  If you answered “one” you’d be correct.  Now, notice what Jesus said about this in verse 17 “Were there not ten cleansed?  But where are the nine?”

Plus, there’s another interesting aspect to that story that perhaps you might not have picked up on.  Did you notice that the only leper to return and thank Jesus for healing him “was a Samaritan?”  Not only wasn’t a Jew, one of Jesus’ own people, was from a group of people vehemently despised by the Jews.  However, to cap this paragraph’s thought off, do you think the Jews were “thankful,” were “appreciative” of Jesus coming as their long-awaited Messiah?  Obviously not!  I’d hate to think that the percentage of “grateful” people today still holds true from Christ’s day - ten percent.

Before I leave the healing of the 10 lepers, I have one more thought to pass on.  The famous and ancient author, Aesop, once wrote “Gratitude is the sign of noble souls.”  Don’t you picture the one “soul” who “thanked” Him was more “noble” than the others?  I do.

Tomorrow is Memorial Day and with God’s blessing I’ll be in our Nation’s capitol celebrating it as I have been for the past 9 years.  I just wish that I could take all of you with me so you could see the ceremonies and the monuments honoring all those who gave so much for our freedom.  That I could take you through Arlington National Cemetery and let you see the rows and rows of grave markers where our heroes lie in their earthly final resting place.  To say it’s humbling is a vast understatement.

Wherever you find yourself Monday, May 30th, please take some time to be “thankful” for their sacrifice.  And, on Sunday, May 29th, let’s remember the sacrifice of God’s Son, Jesus Christ, on Calvary’s cross.  If our military’s sacrifice allows us to live free here on earth, how much more should we be “grateful” for the sacrifice that allows us to live eternally in heaven?

In closing our thoughts today on the subject of “gratitude,” of being “thankful” and “appreciative” of all that God has blessed us with, and our military heroes are one of those blessings, let me offer just a few more words.

How do we develop and maintain a heart of “gratitude?”  How do we make sure that we are always in the ten percent that are “thankful?”  I believe that the first step is to always remember from where all of our blessings flow.  The second step is to “thank” God for all that He has done in our behalf.  From the very air that we breathe through sending man a Savior.

“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy.”  (Psalm 103:1-4)

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment