Sunday, September 25, 2016

The “mystery of the Gospel” (Eph. 6:19)



In many ways I like “mysteries.”  I like mystery movies and books as I’m sure that a lot of you do also.  We like to solve the “who-dun-its.”  However, a few “mysteries” came to life recently that, in my mind at least, will remain unsolved because I see them as unsolvable.  Allow me to elucidate my thoughts here.

What kicked off this subject today is the “mystery” of a lost book that I know that I possess but can’t find.  Plus, I see this word mentioned several times in the New Testament.  It’s interesting (to me anyway) that the word isn’t used in the Old Testament.  I wonder why?  By the way, the definition of the Greek word translated as “mystery” means: “what is known only to the initiated.”  I also find that interesting.

Okay, let’s press on, shall we?  My problem with some “mysteries,” because they seemingly defy solvability, is that they bring about frustration and I don’t like being frustrated.  Matter of fact, I don’t personally know anyone that does.  I’ve already mentioned the lost (missing) book, but let me give you a couple more examples of my frustrating “mysteries.”

First thing, missing socks.  Where do they go?  Somewhere between my bedroom, the washing machine/dryer and the return to the bedroom, they disappear.  Apparently from the face of the earth.  Perhaps socks are like the legendary elephant burial ground, someone probably knows where it’s at, but it sure isn’t me.

Because of time and space limitations I’ll only mention two of my frustrating “mysteries” here today.  My second “mystery” involves “plastic wrap.”  I’ll state right up front that this is no “mystery” to my wife, but it certainly is to me.  How does one tear off a piece of it without it becoming hopelessly tangled?  No matter how hard I try, it just folds over, wraps itself up and defies unpeeling to make it usable.  This stuff is diabolical (Webster = qualities of a devil).  I hate it.

Well, enough about my “mysteries,” let’s look at the scriptural uses of the word and I’m going to start with borrowing some words of Paul from his writing in Rom 11:25.  The phrase I’m borrowing is the one that reads: “that ye should be ignorant of this mystery.”  The reason I’m borrowing it is just to say that, in regards to my “mysteries,” I will probably continue on in my “ignorance” of them.

Now I grant you that my “mysteries” do not equal those we read about in the scriptures, such as the one mentioned by Paul in Eph. 5:32 where he’s talking about the “mystery” of the marriage union between a husband and wife.  Two individuals becoming as one entity and he uses this as an illustration of the relationship between Christ and His Church.

But, in regards to the “mystery of the Gospel” (Eph. 6:19) we’re going to solve it today.  You will become “initiated.”  In Mark 4:11 Christ referred to it as the “mystery of the kingdom of God.”  It was spoken there to explain to His disciples that He used parables in teaching about the coming kingdom, the church.  And, He went on to say that, for those who desire to know what this kingdom, this church, is all about, it would not remain a “mystery.”

But, as far as those who would scoff, who have no desire to know, who would not use their “eyes and ears” they will remain ignorant.  To further see evidence of what Christ was saying there in Mark, let’s turn to Rom. 16:25-26 and read what Paul says there.  In a nutshell, he says that this “mystery” has been “revealed” by the scriptures.  That we can read the prophesies of the prophets and see the fulfillment of them in the form and teaching of Jesus Christ.

Then, in Eph. 3:3-5 Paul again enlarges on what he said in Romans 16.  Basically he repeats that the “mystery” has been “revealed” by the scriptures and then in verses 9-11 we see that it is now the Church’s responsibility to “make known the manifold wisdom of God” to the world.  In other words, to remove the “mystery” of it because we have the revelation of it.

And, not only do we have it, we are to share it with everyone else (Mt. 28:19-20).  For further evidence of the Church’s mission in revealing the “mystery of the gospel” open your Bible to Col. 1:26-28 and take note of the words there.

Yes, the Church’s mission in this world is to preach and teach the “manifold wisdom of God” and by doing so, remove any “mystery” to it.  We, the Church, the body, the bride of Christ, are “the initiated” and it’s been left in our “hands,” we “earthen vessels” (2 Cor. 4:7) to “initiate” everyone that we can.  And when we fulfill our mission we remove any “mystery” to the gospel of Christ.

In wrapping up this lesson (and not with plastic wrap) let me end it this way.  As to the missing socks and the proper way of using plastic wrap, let me just opine that they will remain a “mystery” until, as we read in 1 Cor. 4:5, that the Lord will  come back and when He does, He will “bring to light the hidden things...”  I’m hoping that will include my missing socks and books and how to successfully use plastic wrap.

And our closing admonition; all we have to do is use our “eyes and ears” and study the Gospel of Christ and the “mystery” will no longer be one.

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment