Thursday, June 4, 2020

Psa 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.



Psalm 101 is a psalm of David. David desired to be a good king. He said he would rule with mercy and judgment: “I will sing of mercy and judgment” (v.1).

How does David intend to fulfil his wish to be a good king? It starts with his conduct in his house. He says: "I will walk within my house with a perfect heart" (v.2b). He follows up with it in his court: “He that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me” (v.6b)

This psalm describes the rightful conduct of an Israelite king. It is applicable to us too. We can divide this psalm into two sections. In the first section (v.1-4), the Psalmist declares the principles on which he intends to act in his private life. In the second section (v.5-8), he declares that he will choose the right kind of friends and ministers.

I will walk within my house with a perfect heart – It is easier for most folks to walk with a perfect heart in the Church, or even in the world, than in their own families; don’t you think so? It is easier to be a Mr. Nice Guy outside than at home.

David intends to start the perfect walk from his house. How will he do it?
1. It begins with his worship: “I will sing of mercy and judgment” (v.1). True piety begins at home. If there is no piety at home, then it doesn’t matter where else it is. Do your children see you reading the Bible at home? Do they see you pray?

2. It is shown in the conduct: “I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way” (v.2a). Are you a loving husband and father at home? Are you a loving wife and a caring mother? Are you filial to your parents? Before we can say we love someone afar, we have to first love those who are near to us.

3. Abstain from all appearances of evil: “I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes” (v.3a). What’s in your house? What kind of movies do you watch?

4. A Pure heart: “A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil” (v.4, ASV). Solomon says: “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Proverbs 23:7a). Our Lord says: “Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man” (Matthew 15:11).

Next, David made up his mind to choose his friends with rigorous care. How will he choose?
1. He will not befriend with the slanderers and proud persons: “Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer” (v.5). He knows that “Bad company ruins good morals” (1 Corinthians 15:33, ESV).

2. He will choose the faithful of the land: “Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land” (v.6a). He will choose those who walk in a way that is blameless as his ministers. (v.6b). In this, I have to praise our government for placing integrity as its foremost criteria in selecting its ministers.

3. He will remove liars from his court: “No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes” (v.7, ESV). An honest government begins with honest officials.

4. He will not tolerate the wicked: “I will early destroy all the wicked of the land; that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of the LORD” (v.8). Why are some countries have a reputation for being unsafe? It is because the wicked are allowed to roam freely. A safe country is one that keeps its criminals off the streets.

Are we the same person in the church and at home? May we walk with a perfect heart.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment