Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review of Seaworld

 
"Own A Whale!"
 
I have always loved aquariums. My first venture into fish-keeping was a small bowl with a goldfish. When I saw a five-gallon tank with an air pump and a few guppies, I was hooked. A ten-gallon tank was in my future, and I might have moved up to the big leagues if I hadn't discovered how much work an aquarium demands. Take a few days off, and you've got algae-covered walls and perhaps a few fish floating on their backs. My position today is this: I love looking at other people's aquariums.
 
All of this helps to explain why I love Seaworld. We've made only a few trips to Orlando, but each time I go I'm ready to take another tour through this amazing place. (I've not visited their other properties in San Diego or San Antonio.) Hours are spent gazing at the various displays, especially two-story- sized tanks filled with fish and creatures found in the oceans. And what's a trip to Seaworld without taking in the Shamu show?
 
Word is out today that I may soon have a chance to buy Seaworld. Er, to be more exact, I can become a part-owner. Blackstone Group LP, the firm that now owns Seaworld Entertainment, is considering issuing stocks in order to raise capital. Thus, for a relatively reasonable cost (I'm guessing stocks would sell for $100 or less) I could boast that I now own a whale. Kind of.
 
I would be correct, of course (assuming I actually bought stock). But what would make it possible for me to claim ownership of a whale would be that others paid the majority of the price. Could I ever dream of laying down millions to become a sole owner? We both know better than that! The only way I could dream of "owning" a whale is if others put down the biggest chunk of the funds.
 
I have no desire to own a whale, of course. But I am immensely interested in having a stake in a kingdom - the kingdom of God. James wrote long ago that such a dream can be a reality: "Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which he promised to those who love Him?" (James 2:5) An "heir" is one who will one day take possession of something. You and I are offered possession of God's kingdom!
 
Paul also spoke of this fantastic offer: "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together" (Romans 8:16,17). No, I would not be the sole heir of the kingdom, just as I could never dream of owning Seaworld on my own. But I most certainly can become a "joint heir with Christ".
 
How can such an offer be made? All the riches of earth could not buy a gift like God's kingdom. So how is it possible that "the poor of this world" might become "heirs of the kingdom"?
 
Paul elaborated: "In Him also we have obtained an inheritance ..." (Ephesians 1:11). "Him" refers to Jesus, the one of whom Paul had earlier said this: "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace" (Ephesians 1:7). Without Christ's voluntary offering of Himself on the cross, I could never hope to have such an inheritance. As the old hymn says, "Jesus paid it all."
 
No, I don't want to own a whale. But having a stake in God's eternal kingdom - I want that!
 
Timothy D. Hall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment