Sunday, January 4, 2015

How Christians should start the new year



"The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul.”  (Prov. 16:17)

Well, here we go with another new year, to wit: 2015.  If you’re reading this you’ve survived 2014.  Hopefully, you count that as a blessing as we know that many did not.   Yes, many of our fellow man had their soul return to God this past year and we can only hope that it was in a saved condition when it did so. 

The underlying reason for the writing of my weekly editorial lessons is to assist the readers of them to recognize the importance of keeping their souls in a condition that when it returns to its Maker (and all will) that they will be “acceptable in His sight.”   I should add that it is the underlying reason to myself for writing them - to help keep my soul acceptable to God.

So, we’re into a new year and I trust all of you have made your New Year’s resolutions.  I simply kept the same one I’ve resolved to do for the past several years and that is, I resolve to get up at least once a day.  So far I’ve been able to keep it and I pray that the Lord will allow me to keep it for the rest of this year. 

The subject I’ve chosen for today’s lesson hopefully will remind us of our soul’s condition and the importance of keeping it acceptable to the Lord.  For lack of a better title we’ll just call it “good intentions.”   And, since we’re talking about the “way” of preserving our souls, I’m of the opinion that many of man’s “good intentions” are found on the “broad way that leads to destruction.”  (Matt. 7:13)

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”  Now before you get out your concordance and try to find that quote, let me save you some trouble.  It’s not in the Bible.  It was stated by the novelist George Bernard Shaw.  Another well-known novelist by the name of Oscar Wilde said something closely related.  He said, “It is always with the best intentions that the worst work is done.”

I can truly only speak for myself, but I’m also quite sure that most of you can relate to  what I’m about to tell you.  And that is, I have done a lot of things in my life with all “good intentions” that, well let’s just say, didn’t have the positive results I expected.  It’s a wonder that I have survived some of them to even be able to enter into this new year.  But, rest assured, at the time, I intended to do a good thing.

How about we look at a couple of Bible characters that can serve to help teach this lesson today about intending to do something good and the end result was very costly to them.  And, we’ll see that both of their “intentions” revolve around the same affair.  If you open your Bibles to the 6th chapter of 2 Samuel you’ll be able to read the entire account, and also check my narrative of the event and verify what I’m writing is true.

Our first character, David, set forth on a mission to bring the Ark of the Covenant back to Jerusalem from the house of Abinadab where it had been residing since the Philistines had sent it back to Israel 20 years earlier.  You can read all about that occasion in 1Samuel, chapters 5&6 and I think you’ll find that episode interesting also.

Now David had devised this grand parade comprised of 30,000 “chosen men of Israel” accompanied by numerous musicians and a brand new ox-cart to carry the Ark back home to Jerusalem where it rightly belonged.  So, they all proceeded over to Abinadab’s, got the Ark,  placed it on the cart and started home.  What a great spectacle this must have been.

One of Abinadab’s sons, a man by the name of Uzzah, accompanied the procession and apparently was walking next to the cart when the “oxen shook it” and Uzzah reached out his hand and “took hold” of the Ark, apparently to steady it.  I’m sure that all of us would agree that Uzzah’s intentions were good.  That he was just protecting the Ark from possible damage but, he was immediately struck dead by God.

The death of Uzzah had an immediate effect on David as it woke him up to the fact that it was his “good intentions” that brought about the death of Uzzah.  How so?  God had given Israel specific instructions as to how His Ark of the Covenant was to be transported and who was allowed to touch it.  (You can read these instructions in the 4th chapter of Numbers.)  Suffice it to say, hauling it around on an ox-cart was not in those instructions.

I think that we can tell by all the grandeur and preparations made by David that his “intentions” were good in bringing home the Ark.  And likewise, Uzzah’s “intentions” were good when he reached out and “took hold” of the Ark to steady it.  There was only one thing wrong with this scenario.  It was THEIR “intentions” as to how to do something - not GOD’S.

Sometime back I happened on a quotation that I thought worthy of saving for future use someday.  The quote: “Good intentions do not justify bad actions.”   Obviously “someday” is today and if it doesn’t apply to David and Uzzah I don’t know what does.

And, we still see examples that reflect that quote all the time, don’t we?  How about the protests we see on the news almost every day lately?  Various groups of people, supposedly protesting something they consider to be bad behavior and then themselves burning and looting stores and businesses.

And this especially applies to those who are teaching false doctrines.  And I’m going to opine further on this and say that I’m sure that many of them don’t know or think that they’re spreading falsehood in the doctrines they preach.  Just as David’s “good intentions” led Uzzah to do something that cost him his life, the purveyors of doctrines different from what God specifically gave us in the Gospel, will cost many their eternal souls.

In closing, I think there is one resolution that all of us should make and that is, that we make sure that our “intentions” match what God says is “good” and not what we or any other person decides is “good.”  If we do this, it’ll just be one more way of helping us to “preserve” our souls.

I offer all reading this my best wishes for this coming year and hope that all of us are successful in “keeping our souls.”

Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment