Thursday, January 29, 2015

National Football League Super Sunday

"Super Sunday"

I'll need to be careful as I write this essay, for "Super Sunday" (the title of today's installment) is a registered trademark of the National Football League (as is "Super Bowl"). But since my work is not-for-profit, I think I'm safe.

The trivia in the paragraph above illustrates how huge football in general has become in America. But in case you don't yet grasp the enormity of the championship game that will be played this coming Sunday, consider these facts: (1) Last year's Super Bowl was viewed by more than 111 million, making it the most-watched program in television history. (2) A 30-second television ad will this year cost a minimum of $4 million. 30-second ads for the first Super Bowl (1967) cost a mere $40,000. (3) Sunday's game will be broadcast in 34 languages. (4) 120 footballs will be ready for the game, each of which, we suspect, will be carefully inflated (an inside joke for football fans!).

Pages could be filled with other facts and statistics which have been gathered by news outlets around the world. The point I'm trying to establish is obvious: This is one of the most-hyped days on the calendar. The world seems to stop in order to watch.

You may not be surprised to hear that I've never watched a complete Super Bowl game (not even via DVR). For one thing, I'm not a fan of football. But the larger reason is that, as a minister, I'm already booked on Sunday evenings, a schedule that clashes with the NFL's. Even if I were not a minister, I hope I would choose to honor my Lord by keeping my appointment to worship Him.

Jesus is the One who first made Sundays super. When Jesus came to earth, the Sabbath Day was the focus of religious attention for the Jewish people. All that changed after Jesus arose from the grave. Each of the four gospel writers are careful to note that it was on "the first day of the week" (e.g. Matthew 28:1) that Jesus' tomb was found empty. For all four to mention this fact underscores its importance.

Once the church came into existence, the focus of religious activity moved to Sundays for Christians. Luke tells us that Sundays were when Christians came together to "break bread", a euphemism for the Lord's Supper (Acts 20:7). Paul urged Christians to "lay something aside" (i.e. make financial contributions) "on the first day of the week" (1 Corinthians 16:2). Documents written after the time of the New Testament show a universal practice among Christians to worship God on Sundays.

John began the Book of Revelation by noting that "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day" (Revelation 1:10); most are in agreement he was referring to Sunday, the day on which the Lord arose from the dead. If, therefore, Sunday is the Lord's Day, I will view it as a super day, regardless of what else may be taking place around me.

Timothy D. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment