Friday, December 30, 2016

“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” (Luke 2:14)




This the Christmas season so I guess it’s appropriate to present an editorial related to this time.  I’ll start by telling you that there are a lot of things that I like about this holiday season, but also there are a lot that I don’t like.

In the “like” category of things, I like the feelings of “good will” and “cheer” that we see and hear expressed towards others.  My thoughts on this aspect is, why don’t we see it all year.  It you notice in the above scripture, there’s no time limit mentioned so wouldn’t it be nice if “peace” and “good will” were year-round things?

I like the music however, since it starts at Thanksgiving, by Christmas I’m getting a little tired of it.  I can only listen to “The Little Drummer Boy” so many times before my discomfort level max’s out.

And, I like the idea of the giving and receiving of gifts, but not for the gifts themselves.  What I really like is the principle, or thought, behind them.  And neither does it have to be expensive things.  Just that someone thought enough about another person to get (or make) something for them.  In this regard, it’s the old cliche “It’s the thought that counts” that is so true.

Plus, I like that the holiday season seems to draw folks together.  Like I said earlier, it would be nice if this spirit lasted throughout the whole year.  It just seems to bring family and friends closer together and this is a good thing.

What I don’t like about this season is the crowds and the traffic problems.  It’s these things that bring about feelings opposed to the “good will” aspects of it.  These situations actually cause “ill will” and it’s a shame when that occurs any time during the year, but especially so at this time.

I mean, here we are in a season of “good will” and certain things about it causes hostility and “ill will.”  Seems like an oxymoron, doesn’t it?  I’m sure that, like myself, you’ve seen on the news, the fights and the battles in stores over this years’ “got to have” toys.  We see “peace” go right out the window, don’t we?

No, I’m not anti-Christmas like some people claim they are.  You know, the “bah humbug” people.  I just don’t believe that this holiday has anything to do with the actual birth of Christ or that we have any directive or inference in the Bible to celebrate it as such.  I believe that history will reveal it to have been a pagan holiday that was adopted by the Roman church in about 330 AD and since that time has been worshiped as the birthday of Jesus Christ.

Let me say it this way:   if we’re going to be true to the Scriptures, we have to understand that there is no command or inference given for Christians to worship the day of Christ’s birth.  If we had been given such a command or inference, we’d have also been given the date to do so and not left with the adoption of a Roman pagan holiday for it.

Yes, the Scriptures do tell us ABOUT the birth of Christ and where it occurred, but the significance of His birth is not the date, but rather how it was accomplished because that is what established His “bona fides,” so to speak.  It was the fulfillment of several prophesies regarding the coming of the Messiah, not the least of which is the one found in Isa. 7:14 where it predicts that He would be born of a “virgin.”

The place of His birth is also significant because it too fulfills the prophesy told in Micah 5:2 that the Savior would be born in Bethlehem.  Other prophesies regarding the birth of the Messiah we can look at are the ones addressing His lineage.  IE: He would be of the tribe of Judah (Gen. 49:10 and Micah 5:2).  Others relating to this can be read in Gen. 17:18 and then in Matt. 1:1-2.

That is the significance of His birth; the fulfillment of the prophesies regarding it.   That proves that this Jesus of Nazareth, that was born of a virgin in the town of Bethlehem is the true Christ, the true Messiah.

So, is it okay for me to enjoy this season?  I certainly believe so, as long as I understand it to be a non-religious holiday, similar in nature to Memorial Day, Thanksgiving or any other holiday of the year.  What we have to keep in mind is that the Christian’s worship of Christ, as the Savior of the world, is that it’s a 365 days of the year celebration rather than just one.

I also believe that it’s perfectly okay for me to exchange gifts with loved ones.  That I can enjoy the love and “good will” brought on by the occasion of this holiday.  You see, Christians benefit from the liberty that’s found in Christ.  The 14th chapter of Romans shows us this principle.  That we can observe or enjoy a holiday so long as we understand it’s appropriate significance.  But that passage also shows that it’s alright to not participate if one doesn’t desire to.

Let me close my thoughts here by saying this: I really don’t believe in Christmas as a Bible based holiday, but I do believe in the One that the holiday remembers.  His birth was indeed miraculous, but it is His death, burial and resurrection that saves us.  It was man’s sins that crucified Him and yet, He loves us anyway.  That is what we need to remember and celebrate.

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment