Tuesday, December 6, 2016

God told Moses to appoint seventy men



Num 11:16  And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee. 

Moses was beginning to feel the strain of leading a group of people who were never satisfied but were quick to complain about almost everything. Instead of rejoicing that they were free from the slavery in Egypt, they complained about the food in the wilderness and longed for the food they had taken in Egypt. Those were hurting words. Moses was getting discouraged and depressed. He didn’t volunteer for the job of leading the Israelites out of Egypt. He didn’t apply for the job; it was entrusted to him. And, he wasn’t even paid to do it; he just had to do it.

If it was a well paid job, he might endure it for the sake of the money. But, these people were not even his pay masters but yet they were so demanding. All he had been getting were complaints and not words of appreciation or a “Thank You” card. He poured out his sorrow to God: “I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me” (Numbers 11:14). He was saying: “I can’t take it anymore.”

God told Moses to appoint seventy men who should help him to bear the burden and responsibilities that were weighing heavily on his shoulders (Numbers 11:16). Moses obeyed and found seventy men to help him with the work (Numbers 11:24).

Moses had seventy men to help him. I wish I have seven. I wish I have seven deacons and hopefully, a couple more elders. My co-elder and I have been spending a lot of our time on the physical work and church activities that we have very little time for shepherding the flock.

I wish I have a deacon for building facilities so that I don’t have to source and make decision when an air conditioner, a water dispenser, a tap, a bulb, or the video projector, is out of order. When the roof leaks or the paint is peeling off, I wish I have a deacon to take care of them.

I wish I have a deacon to take care of fellowship of the church. He will plan the fellowship activities and take care of the programme and logistics. He will plan the church camp and all the details.

I wish I have a deacon to take care of the benevolence of the church. He will look after the sick, aged, and the physically challenged. He will plan for hospitality when a visiting preacher is preaching for us.

I wish I have a deacon to take care of the youth ministry. I love the youth and would love to join them in their outdoor activities. But I don’t think they want this old man to join them in their karaoke, games, and discussions. They will think I don’t trust them. I don’t know what kind of fun youth like and so I wish I have a youthful deacon to fill in the gap.

Indeed, there are gaps everywhere in the church that need to be filled. Even God was looking for a man to stand in between the gap before Him and the land (Ezekiel 22:30). The land was corrupt. God sought for a man that would stand in the gap that would faithfully exhort, reprove and counsel with all long-suffering and doctrine. But none was to be found! How sad.

Moses’ outcry is hardly to be wondered at. He was thoroughly overstrained by the immense demands of his life. He needed help. He needed men to fill in the gaps. He found seventy. I just need seven. Do I have seven men?

Shall your brethren go to war, and shall ye sit here?” (Numbers 32:6). Brethren, you should not be sitting here while your brethren are working. Your elders, preachers, and other workers need you. Please help to bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2).

Jimmy Lau
Psa 119:97  Oh how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment