Friday, January 11, 2019

2Sa 23:1 Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said.



The first seven verses of this chapter records David’s last words. In it he praised God. He praised the LORD for choosing him in spite of his imperfections: “Although my house be not so with God; yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things, and sure: for this is all my salvation, and all my desire, although he make it not to grow” (v.5).

David knew that the everlasting covenant from God was not based on his perfection as a ruler but based on God’s gracious commitment to His everlasting covenant. He acknowledged that his reign fell short of both perfect justice and complete blessedness. Though he wished his life and family could be better (although he make it not to grow), still, he was satisfied and felt blessed (for this is all my salvation, and all my desire).

It is believed that a person’s last words are his most important words; they are words of his heart. A person’s last words would not be: “Can you bring me to my garage and let me have a last look at my cars.” Or, “I need to submit this report to my boss now.” Business and cars are not important at all.

What do you think a young mother dying of cancer last words to her children would be? “Be strong!” I would think.

Here are some last words by people of the Bible:
1. Joshua’s last words to Israel show his concern for Israel’s faith in God: “Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth” (Joshua 24:14).
2. Solomon’s last words to young men and women show his concern for their future: “Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).
3. Paul’s last words to Timothy show his concern for the truth: “Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season” (2Timothy 4:2).
4. Jesus’ last words to John show His concern for His mother: “Behold thy mother!” (John 19:27).
5. Jesus’ last words at the cross show His love for mankind: “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).
6. Peter’s last words to the church show his care for their spiritual growth: “But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).
7. Paul’s last words to the elders of Ephesus show his concern for the church: “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood” (Acts 20:28).

The last words spoken by a dying person are precious to them; they should be precious to the listeners. We may be listening to words of forgiveness or regrets, a final piece of wisdom and advice, declarations of love, or simply good-bye. Some may be sad words and some the dying person is trying to lift up the spirit of those around him like: “Farewell my friends. We will meet again.”

The last words by faithful men of God should be very precious to us. We ought to take heed to the last words of Joshua, Solomon, Paul, Peter, and our Lord Jesus. If you were to write down your last words to your loved ones today, what will you be writing to them?

Perhaps, the most widely quoted last words came from the pen of the apostle Paul: “For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2Timothy 4:6-8).

They are word of one who is faithful and is sure of a place in heaven. Can we say the same words as Paul? Brethren, let us work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12). We have to do it with “fear and trembling” lest we fall short. So, let us be faithful so that we can say like Stephen before we breathe our last: “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit” (Acts 7:59).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment