Friday, January 11, 2019

Psa 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.



“No double standard” is what I conclude from reading this psalm. David, the writer of this psalm, has certain standards he expects from those around him. He says the following people shall not abide with him:
1. The wicked (v.3)
2.  A perverse heart (v.4)
3.  The slanderers and the proud (v.5)
4.  The liars and cheaters (v.7)
5.  He says he will destroy the wicked from the land (v.8).

David sets a high standard for others. But, unlike many who expect high standard from others while giving excuses for themselves, David likewise set a high standard for himself. He says: “I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart” (v.2).

I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way – He aims to be perfect. What he expects from others, he expects the same from himself – no double standard!

O when wilt thou come unto me – He invites the LORD to come into his house and check if he is walking perfectly in his house. Every company, when informed of an audit, will rush to tidy their files and accounts. Why? The reason is because under normal days, their files and accounts are tardy.

I used to work in the construction industry. Safety measures under typical days are tardy. God help us that no one falls from height. But, if informed that a safety audit is coming, everything is tip top for the auditors to see. Once the auditors have left the site leave, safety is forgotten.

David keeps his life in order all the time. He says God can inspect his life any time.                                     

I will walk within my house with a perfect heart – God can go to his house and check his conduct; this is his confidence. Our houses are only tidy when we are expecting guests. We don’t want people to see what is in our house. What more, our conduct is worse in our house. Only our spouses, parents, and children know what kind of persons we really are. What we are in church may be different from what we are at home.

David did not invite God to see his behavior in the church but at home. He is a man who is consistent with his behavior, whether it is at home or in church.

What about us? Are we the same person in church and at home? In think that question will bring many of us to shame: “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).

Our Lord warns against double standard: “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?” (Matthew 7:3). The Golden Rule could also be read this way: “Expect the same from yourself what you expect from others.”

What will happen to your children’s faith when they see their parents are different kind of persons in church and at home? Parents, you can’t bring up faithful Christian children when you are not faithful yourselves. You need to show your children how to live as Christians starting from the home.

Will you invite Christ to see what kind of person you are at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment