Friday, July 10, 2020

Psa 121:2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.



Psalm 121 is a reminder of where to turn to in times of trouble. A Psalm of Ascent, it is sung by the Israelites as they made the long journey to Jerusalem to worship God. The journey was never easy and could be very dangerous as they scaled the hills around Jerusalem. But the Israelites trusted God would get them safely to their destination: “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth” (v.1, 2).

Why did the Psalmist lift up his eyes unto the hills?
1. He was expecting the robbers and thieves to come down from the hills.
2. He was looking beyond the hills to the dwelling place of God.
3. He was looking at Jerusalem which was set on top of a hill and where God supposedly dwelled.

Today, we likewise face many challenges in our lives. What do we look to? If we are only looking at the hills, it means we are focusing on the problems; the problems are looming over us like mountains. Under such situations, the problems are magnified and look bigger than they really are. We become fearful.

We recall the children of Israel when they heard about the “giants” in Canaan. What becomes of them? “And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight” (Numbers 13:33).

How tall could the children of Anak be? Taller than the mountains? Fear caused them to magnify the problem while diminishing their own ability. Surely, they were many thousand times bigger than grasshoppers. What made them look down on themselves? Fear and failure to put their trust in God.

The psalmist looks beyond the mountains into the throne of God. His help comes from the One who created the mountains: “My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth” (v.2).

Perhaps, you are facing huge mountains of trials at this moment. I pray your help comes from the One who created the mountains. In times of trouble and trials, pain, worry, and grief, let us go to our Lord for help! He who created the heaven and the earth, including the mountains, can remove any mountain obstructing our way. Our problems are never too big for Him.

Our Lord says: “If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you” (Matthew 17:20).

We may face many difficult problems in life, but the God who made heaven and earth is greater than our mountains of trials. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve faced huge mountains of trials in my life, but each time I looked to God for help. Sometimes, it seemed that His help wasn’t there, and that’s because I expected the solution to be the way I thought it should be. But looking back, I’m glad God did not answer my problems according to my way.

Sometimes God delivered me FROM the trial; but other times, He went with me THROUGH the trial: “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4).

God helps every Christian in tough times. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth! What about you? From where do you seek your help? I pray that you seek your help from the God who made heaven and earth.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment