Friday, July 10, 2020

Psa 122:1 A Song of degrees of David. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.



Psalm 122 is a song of Degrees, also called a song of Ascent. It means it is a song sung by the pilgrims as they ascend into the hill to Jerusalem and to the temple. It is a time of joy to the Jews because the temple means everything to them. They loved to be in the house of God.

What about us? What brings us joy? For some, it is an upcoming wedding. For another, it will be the birth of a child or grandchild. For the students, it will be their graduation. For the children, a trip to Disneyland, or a new toy. The worldly people might say that winning the lottery will give them joy. A gold medal will certainly bring joy to athletes who are competing in the Olympic games.

What about worship? Do we find joy in worship? Ae we glad when Sunday comes? How many among us long for the Sunday worship together? The world is held hostage by a virus. Yes, I’m referring to the COVID-19 pandemic. This pandemic has created havoc on the world’s economy and social living. Countries are in lockdowns and places of worship are closed and we are not spared too.

I dare say that after two months of the circuit breaker, we are simply glad it is over. But still, mass gathering and religious activities are not allowed to resume. How long before we can come together again to worship as a congregation? I don’t know. But I look forward to the day when we can go to the house of the LORD for worship; it will be my joy to be with God and with the saints.

I will be singing as I make the way to the “house of God”. Pardon me for using the term “house of God’ as if the church building is THE “house of God”. I’m not saying the building is the church. I’m saying I will be glad when the church can meet together and I’ll be there.

David, the writer of this psalm, is offering an Invitation to all worshippers: “Let us go.” For the past three months, we have been prevented from meeting together as a congregation. I wish for the day when the news comes that we can meet together. That will be the only good news I want for this year. That day, we will call one another and say: “Let us go to the house of the LORD.”

We don’t want to worship alone at home. God called us to be a family. There is a beauty in being together with the people of God and I hope you feel the same way. That day, we can really sing “Halleluiah Praise Jehovah” and feel strongly of it in our hearts.

It is a privilege to worship and serve God. There are so many good things that can come out when the saints meet together:
1. God is glorified in our worship: “Let them praise the name of the LORD: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven” (Psalm 148:13).
2. We are renewed and strengthened in our faith: “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching” (Hebrews 10:25).

Good children are glad to go home. In like manner, good children of God are glad to go into the house of God where like-minded people are together for one purpose – to worship God. There is no place on earth I would rather be than to be in the “house of God”. Paul wrote: “But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Timothy 3:15).

I always say: “If you do not find joy in the house of God, how can you find joy in heaven?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment