Friday, July 10, 2020

Psa 124:8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.


Psa 124:8  Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 

Psalm 124 is a song expressing gratitude to God for the help that only He can give: “If it had not been the LORD who was on our side when people rose up against us, then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us” (v.2, 3, ESV).

If it had not been the LORD who was on our side - The idea is, they were blessed to have the LORD on their side. Their problems were so great no one else but only God could help them that it was proper to say that if this had not occurred, ruin would have been inevitable and entire.

Out of all the peoples of the world, God chose Israel to be His. If it had not been the LORD who was on their side, these would happen to them:
1. They would not survive the great famine in the days of Jacob.
2. They would remain as slaves in Egypt.
3. They would perish in the wilderness.
4. They could not defeat the nations in Canaan.

Only the mighty hand of God brought them out of Egypt, preserved them in the wilderness, and gave them victories over their enemies. Had it not been for the LORD, they would have perished long ago. Probably, the Psalmist had thought about the disastrous things that could have happened to them if it had not been the LORD who was on their side. He was thankful that God was on their side.

Think of those occasions in your life if it had not been the LORD who was on your side. Imagine where would you be today if it had not been the LORD who was on your side.

What if we change the question to this: What if the Lord Had Not Been on Your Side?

I can tell you this: If the LORD had NOT been on my side, these would have happened to me:
1. I would have lost my life when my car went out of control.
2. I would have been hit by a car that didn’t stop at the traffic light.
3. I would have been hit by a huge coconut that dropped right in front of me.
4. I would have driven off the cliff while driving on a mountainous road in Melbourne together with my wife and daughter.

I thank God that those things didn’t happen. I won’t be here today if the Lord had not been on my side in those times.

Psalm 124 wants us to think about what our lives would have been like if the Lord had not been on our side.
I.  Past - Think what could’ve been (v.1-5).
II. Present - Thank God for what is (v 6-7).
III. Future - Trust God with what will be (v 8).

Reflect on how things might be different if the LORD was NOT on your side. Thank God Now that He was on your side when they happened. When God is on your side, the enemy doesn’t stand a chance: “If God be for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31b).

Make a decision to be on the Lord’s side. When we choose to be on God’s side, we will have all the help we need: “Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth” (v.8).



 

No comments:

Post a Comment