Sunday, January 27, 2013

2014

A few weeks ago we turned the corner on a new year. Yep, we've arrived at the year of our Lord, 2013 and only He knows how much of it we'll see or whether we'll see 2014. Musing along these thoughts brought today's editorial lesson into my mind so I'll try and convey my musings to you in an understandable manner.

In order to get you to thinking, let me ask you a question. What do you consider to be the most valuable thing that you possess? Now, I'm speaking of things that pertain to this earth. Would you say to yourself, my health? Or, would you think along the lines of something material such as my house, or my new car? It's my guess that many people would answer with different views as to their most valuable possession. But, I'd like to suggest to you (and everyone else) that the most valuable thing that we have while living on this earth is - "time."

Now, this is just my personal opinion but, I don't believe that most of us know or understand just how valuable this commodity of "time" really is. That we don't realize that everything we have, that we do, our whole earthly existence revolves around "time." Everything we know relates to "time" which is why no one can really grasp "eternity," or timelessness.

In my studies of the Bible I've run across several phrases relating to "time" that I see as usable for our lesson today. Phrases such as; "in the process of time" (several times) which relates to things occurring at their appropriate "times." Also the phrase from Job 7:1 where we read that "man has an appointed time on the earth" and Eccl. 9:12 states that "we don't know how much time" we have appointed to us.

The writer of Psalm 89 says something that I can certainly relate to as the older I get, the faster time seems to go by. He said, "....Remember how short my time is." (Vs 47) Recall when we were young that "time" just seemed to drag by and we couldn't wait to be old enough to do something? I'm not sure at what point it occurred, but it sure seems to me that the clocks began running faster and the months and years seem to fly off the calendars.

Everyone who studies the Bible or has attended a funeral service is probably familiar with verses 1-8 of Ecclesiastes the 3rd chapter. You know, all of Solomon's teachings on there being a "time" for everything. Well, a few verses after those is one I see that teaches us a great lesson on how valuable "time" is to mankind. If you've never had the occasion to read Eccl. 3:17 before, you won't be able to say that after the next paragraph of this lesson.

That verse reads: "God shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work." (Read also 1Cor. 3:13 and Rev. 22:12)

Do you see what I see being told us in the words of that verse? I see that God will judge everybody (righteous and wicked) on how we use our "time." Considering that thought, does it raise your evaluation of "time" to the highest level? It certainly did me. If I'm going to be judged on the basis of the use I make of my "appointed time" here on earth, and I believe in the eternal hereafter, it then behooves me to use my "time" appropriate to where I hope to spend that eternity.

Thinking about the use of our time leads me to believe that what better use can we make of it than to work for the cause of Christ. That we serve others in whatever manner we're able with the purpose and objective of our work being the glory of God (1Cor. 10:31). That others will see Christ in us by what we do in the use of our "time."

Let me close by telling you a little story that I feel illustrates the value of "time." As you read this I hope that it causes you to realize how much others appreciate our sharing a portion of our "time" with them when we ourselves may not realize its value at the time. The fact that you used some of your most valuable commodity on their behalf can have a tremendous effect on their lives.

A man that I'll refer to as Jack had been raised in a small town, had graduated from high school, gone to college, married, moved across the country and was involved in his business career. One evening he received a phone call from his mother who informed him that Mr. Belser, their next door neighbor had passed away. That his funeral was to be held in a few days.

Jack hadn't thought about the old neighbor for many years and even remarked to his mother that he thought Mr. Belser had died several years ago. She said no, and that every time she saw him he asked about Jack and how he was doing. She said he would reminisce about the times Jack had spent on "his side of the fence."

His mother's phone call caused Jack to recall how much Mr. Belser had meant to his life, especially after his father had died. He had taught him carpentry and how to build things, which happened to be the business in which he was now engaged. Yes, the call made him realize just how important Mr. Belser had been in his life. Even though he was very busy at this time, he told his mother that he would come home for the funeral.

He flew back to his home town and, with his mother, attended the funeral. He was glad that he had taken the time to be there as Mr. Belser had no children of his own and most of his friends had already passed away. Before he left to return to his family, he and his mother went next door to the old man's house. It was just as he remembered it being except for one thing - the box. It wasn't on the desk where he had always kept it and was always kept locked. When he asked what was in it, Mr. Belser would only say that "It's the thing I value most." Since it wasn't on the desk, Jack figured that he'd never know what was in it that was so valuable.

About two weeks after returning home, Jack got a notice in the mail to pick up a package at the Post Office. He did so and the first thing he noticed was that it had evidently been wrapped a long time back. The writing was very faded, but he could just make out the return address: Mr. Harold Belser.

He hurriedly opened it and inside was a small, gold box with an envelope attached to it. Inside the envelope was a note with a key taped to it. The note read: "Upon my death, please forward this box and its contents to Jack Bennett. It's the thing I valued most in my life."

Jack took the key and opened the box to find a beautiful gold pocket watch. He opened the cover of the watch and engraved inside were these words: "Jack, thanks for you time! Harold Belser."

I'd like you to read one more phrase regarding "time" and it's found in Rev. 10:6. It's there that "a mighty angel" announces that the earth and all therein it has reached the point "that there should be time no longer." When that point comes, there will be no more time to "do" anything, such as repent or obey the Gospel.

When's a good time to do that? 2Cor. 6:2 says "...Now is the accepted time." The word "now" means this present moment of "time." IE: don't delay because we're not guaranteed another one.

Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment