Sunday, January 6, 2013

Tomorrow is the new moon; and thou shalt be missed, because thy seat will be empty

Today is the first Lord's Day of 2013 and my initial thought is, where did 2012 go? I mean, it was just here a minute ago wasn't it? Job's "weaver's shuttle" seems to be picking up speed, doesn't it?

One of the traditions that accompanies the entrance of a New Year is the making of resolutions. It's been my impression that most of them are not kept, at least not for very long anyway. I believe in making "keepable" resolutions so as to not be discouraged by my failure to keep them.

This year I'm again making two resolutions. Ones that I've found "tried and true" and the first one is - that I resolve to get up at least once a day. The second one is like unto the first - I resolve to eat something at least once per day. The good Lord willing, I'll be able to keep these all year 'round.

In all seriousness, let me share with you a couple of thoughts about resolutions for our Christian lives. Areas where we should resolve to do a duty as best we're able. My first "resolution" thought is regarding attendance at worship service. This just seems to be a good subject to consider as we embark on the New Year.

Now I'm fully aware that sometimes things happen that's beyond our control that cause us to miss meeting with the brethren. Things that preclude us from participating in the worship service. (And here's a side-lesson that I'll throw in for free - only you and God know the limits of your control.) I believe that we can look at some words given us by God, via the writer of Hebrews, that speak to our "controlled" efforts.

The verse of Heb. 10:25 is often cited in sermons relating to the topic of attendance, but I think that there is much more to be considered in the preceding two verses that also relate to attendance. Let me see if I can understandably explain what I mean by that statement.

For the sake of space limitations, I'll paraphrase some things seen in these verses, but please read them for yourself, if only to verify my presentation of them. My intent is to show the effect that our attendance has on others. The lesson that I get out of verse 23 is that, by our faithful attendance, we show the "unwavering" hope we have in the promises of God.

Plus, (verse 24) by faithful attendance, we can motivate our brethren towards "acts of love and good works." IE: We can motivate faithful attendance on their part. Thus, we can see where our attendance to such "acts and works" can "provoke" others to do likewise.

But, verse 25 shows us that there's another shoe on another foot here to consider. That is, should we neglect to be there at the appointed times, not only are we exhibiting a lack of faith on our part, but we're not encouraging others towards greater faith.

And, since we don't know when "the Day" will arrive, we should not be neglecting our duties for our own soul's sake, but also for the sake of other's souls. We don't want to discourage, we want to encourage others. As to "the Day" I only know this - it's one year closer than last year and one day closer than yesterday. Therefore, our faith must be seen at all times because "the Day" can come at any time.

I'll close this thought by presenting to you a great picture painted for us in 1Sam. 20:18. This picture is seen in the words spoken by David's best friend who was also the son of the King. I think we can read these words and relate them to our thought on attendance today. Jonathon says to David: "Tomorrow is the new moon; and thou shalt be missed, because thy seat will be empty."

When we're not there, when our seat is empty "we'll be missed." Our absence will be noted and I remind you of all the effects we talked about earlier that relate to that absence. In thinking about Jonathon's words, coupled with the thought of "the Day", I'll just close with this: I don't want to be "missed" in heaven. I want to take my "seat" at the table in my mansion.

My second resolution thought is in regards to giving. Now I know that most of you reading this editorial will assume that I'm referring to money. It's almost automatic to people's thinking that the word "giving" is talking about money. Truth be known, money should be the least of our giving.

I like the example given us by Paul in 2Cor. the 8th chapter when he talks about the churches of Macedonia and their willingness to help others. Yes, they did give money to Paul to be dispensed to the needy saints, but look at what they did first. "But first gave of their own selves to the Lord and unto the will of God." (Vs. 5)

Paul says, because of this willingness to give of themselves first, that was why they abounded in "every thing." In faith and teaching and knowledge. In their diligence and in their love. Then they gave of their money. You see, the giving of their money was just a manifestation of their first giving themselves to the Lord.

In my humble opinion, it's easy to give money. Many do only that and think that's all they have to give. The Lord requires much more of His followers than a portion of their money. He requires Christians to give of themselves first. That means giving of their time, their efforts in teaching others the Gospel. It means serving others in whatever way we can with the motivation being them seeing Christ through us.

I believe that we should resolve to give more to the Lord in this new year. "Give" in the sense of "ourselves" - not just our money. The reason that I earlier said that it's easy to give money is because doing that doesn't require any work. Yes, money is a part of our giving, but also as said earlier, it should be the least of our giving.

May God continue to bless us throughout the coming days of this year as He's so richly blessed us thus far. And may we be diligent in our resolutions. In our "attendance" and our "giving."

Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment