Tuesday, July 19, 2016

CHRISTian



I Do, but I Don't

I believe in proper methods, but I don't wear the name "Methodist".  I believe in baptism, but I don't wear the name "Baptist".  I believe presbyters (or elders) should oversee the local church, but I don't wear the name "Presbyterian".  I believe one should be holy, but I am not a "Holiness".  I believe Jesus was reared in Nazareth, but I am not a "Nazarene".  I believe that these are the "last days" in which we are now living, (Heb. 1:1) and that we are called saints, (1 Cor. 1:2), but I am not a "Latter Day Saint".  I believe the church should be catholic, (universal) but I don't wear the name "Catholic".  I believe in unity, but I don’t wear the name "Unitarian".

According to some arguments (?) used to justify the religious wearing of human names, I would really have a name.  I would be a Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Holiness, Nazarene, Latter Day Saint, Unitarian, Catholic, Christian!  WHEW!  What a name!  However, I don't wear those names which glorify a person, a method, or a doctrine.  I wear the name of Him who was crucified for me; and in whose name I was baptized. (1 Cor. 1:13).  Salvation is in no other name, but the name of Christ (Acts 4:12).  That's why I am pleased to wear the name "Christian" (Acts 11:26), the "new name" God gave to His people after the Gentiles had seen His righteousness (Isa. 62:2), and which glorifies God (1 Pet. 4:16).

Yes, I do believe in methods, baptism, presbyters, etc., but I don't wear divisive human names, which may honor the teaching, but not the "Author and Finisher of our faith", Jesus Christ.  If you obey the gospel of Christ (Rom. 1:16), you, too, can be simply a Christian and wear the name of Christ, which is embodied in the very word 'CHRISTian".
                                                            - by Jim Sasser

No comments:

Post a Comment