Sunday, July 17, 2016

“Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.” (Governor Felix to Paul in Acts 24:25)



                           
That statement made by Governor Felix in response to the preaching of Paul I find very interesting.  It’s indicative of something very commonly seen in the efforts to reach others with the Gospel.  I’d like to spend a few minutes discussing this with you today and I hope that you find it spiritually instructive.

Last week I had an appointment with my doctor who is also my wife’s doctor.  My wife had been feeling very sick for a couple of days and the doctor’s office said that I could bring her with me at my appointment time and they’d “work her in.”  It’s a good thing that they did as she went straight to the hospital emergency and spent the next 6 days there being treated.

Now I’m only using her situation as a basis for my thoughts today which will be centered on the idea of being “worked in.”  And I’m sure that many of you have been in similar situations; of being “worked in” to the doctor’s office or somewhere else.  We’re all familiar with being “conveniently worked in” on some occasion and the word “convenient” will be the nexus for tying Felix’s words to our lesson.

Another way of the doctor saying we’ll “work you in” is like saying we’ll “fit you in.”  That we already have a schedule of things to do and when it’s “convenient” we’ll “fit you in.”  In other words, we weren’t their first priority.  And you know what, as human beings, we sort of like being the “priority,” don’t we?  We don’t really like being secondary or being “worked in.”

Well, I’m afraid that a lot of people, even “religious” people, treat God that way.  They “work Him in” when it’s “convenient” for them to do so.  By the way, do you know what that word “convenient,” as used by Gov. Felix, meant on the occasion of his usage of the word?  In the Greek (only time used in New Testament) one of the definitions is “a while.”  As in “a while” I’ll get around to you.

Actually I like the way that verse reads in the English Standard Version.  Take a look at it as it reads there: “Go away for the present.  When I get an opportunity I will summon you.”   If we, as humans or creatures, don’t like being of secondary priority, of being “worked in,” wouldn’t you think that God, the Creator, might feel the same way?

In my humble opinion, I just don’t think God appreciates “just getting into” our lives anymore than we appreciate being relegated to a secondary position and receiving attention when it’s “convenient” to someone else.  We just don’t like being a “convenience,” do we?

There’s a passage in the Bible that tells us exactly what God thinks about being relegated to a secondary role in our lives.  If you turn to Luke 9 and read verses 57-62 you’ll see how God likes being “worked in” to our lives.

We read the story of three men who professed interest in “following” Jesus.  Two of these men though wanted to “work Him in” to their schedule.  In other words, they had other things they were doing at the moment and when they had completed them, then they’d follow Him. 

Yes, they had plans already made.  Things that they were doing that had their attention at the moment.  It’s like they said, “OK Lord, I’m going to follow you, but I’ve got some business that I need to take care of first.  When I take care of that business I’ll be right there with you.”

Do you think their situation is very far from the way people today treat the Lord?  I certainly don’t.  How many people intend to “follow” God when they can “work Him in” to their lives?  Wouldn’t it be interesting to somehow know how many ever reach the time when God becomes “convenient” to them?

Well, from Luke’s account of the story we cited, we can see what the Lord thought of their putting Him second.  Paraphrastically speaking, you can’t put your earthly endeavors ahead of God.  You can’t put your personal interests ahead of studying The Word.  Of meeting with the “body” or of being devoted to our brothers and sisters in the Lord.  And especially, ahead of spreading the Gospel with others. 

No, we can’t do those things when it’s “convenient” to us.  When we can “get around to it.”  In wrapping up my thoughts here, I guess what I’m saying is what the picture painted by the men talked about in Luke 9.  That as long as we’re putting our earthly endeavors ahead of being obedient and pleasing to God then I’ll just use His words: we’re “not fit for the kingdom of God.”  (Lk. 9:62)

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey

No comments:

Post a Comment