Monday, August 28, 2017

Deu 31:7 And Moses called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and of a good courage: for thou must go with this people unto the land which the LORD hath sworn unto their fathers to give them; and thou shalt cause them to inherit it.





This chapter contains some parting words from an old lawgiver. Moses had now finished his work as the legislator and ruler and leader of Israel. He had brought the young nation to the doorstep of the Promised Land. Unfortunately, he could not enter in himself. And, as any good leader who is worth his salt, he had made preparations for a successor and arranged the work that would follow after he was gone. Hence, before he finally retired from his place, he introduced his successor, Joshua, to the people. He also commissioned the priests to keep the Law, and exhorted the people to obedience, encouraging them to go forward to the conquest of Canaan, with the assurance of the Divine favour and blessing, and pronouncing on them his parting benediction.

It is said that God buries His workers, but carries on His work. No one is indispensable. Moses was succeeded by Joshua, Eli by Samuel, and Stephen by Paul. “The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever” (1 Peter 1:24-25).

A leader’s most important work is to ensure that the work of God goes on when he is gone. And the job of the next generation is to keep the on with the good legacies their former generation has left behind for them. Today, as I am writing this, I remember those who had been the leaders and warriors in God’s kingdom in past days. They had committed this faith to my generation. I am proud that my generation has not failed them. We fought hard to preserve the truth, keep the faith, and keep the church from false teachings. My generation has not turned to the right or to the left but remain steadfast in holding on to the truth. It is now our job to ensure the next generation carries on with this legacy of faithfulness and truth: God buries His workers, but carries on His work.

Where the responsibilities of the men of the past leave off, our responsibility begins. Today, I’m satisfied that I have done my very best in contending for the faith and ensuring the congregation which I am a member of stick to the pure doctrine and worship of God. Yet, while I have done my very best to teach and warn the next generation, I’m afraid the good work of the Lord may go down the drain.

Why do I have this fear? My fear is because the youths of today do not study the Bile with the same earnestness as I did when I was young. When I was young, I spent a lot of time on studying the word of God. I read the bible in one year for a number of times. I read every debate and commentary written by sound brethren that I could get hold on. I do not know if our youths have even finished the whole Bible even once, not to mention, read a debate book. I’m afraid they have not. Up to this day, I have not lived a day when I did not turn to the Bible and read it. You see, without this love for the word of God, how would the young defend the truth? The word of God says: “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge” (Hosea 4:6).

People are led to believe a lie because they do not know the scriptures (Matthew 22:29). One cause for apostasy to take over the church is a lack of knowledge in its members of the word of God. One will never know the scriptures until he begins to study it like he is taking a major examination. One cannot know what error is until he knows what truth is.

If one claims to love God, he must also love His word: “If ye love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15). If one claims to love God, he must be willing to be a Joshua, who took over what his leader had left. Young men, the elders of tomorrow are made today. Are you in the making?


Jimmy Lau
Psa 119:97  Oh how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment