Monday, August 28, 2017

Motivation







                                                                        FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Our subject of discussion today is “motivation.”  When you think about it, many things motivate us and we realize that our motivational sources change quite often, don’t they?  One of my sources this past week has been “pain.”  I don’t like it! 

Having spent a career in law enforcement, mostly as a homicide detective, I’ve investigated many, shall we say, crimes involving folks who relish pain.  We referred to them by the appropriate medical terminology - “whacko’s.”  But yes, in one way they were motivated by pain.

And, as I mentioned, this past week so was I only there’s a big difference in our “motivations.”  I don’t like it and they do therefore I was motivated to spend some money on a doctor who relieved me of it.  I’ll return to this point later when we close.

So then, how does the subject of “motivation” apply to a spiritual lesson?  Very simply.  It’s every Christian’s duty, their charge, to motivate everyone they can to obey the Gospel of Christ and become Christian motivators too.  (Matt. 28:19-20).  In a very succinct way of looking at it, that’s the mission plan of The Church.

The command is to “reach and teach” but the methods are loosed.  We can use any motivating method we feel useful, as long as we stay within the guidelines given us by God’s Word.  We have a great example of what I’m saying given us by the Apostle Paul.  In Romans 11:14 he says “If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.”

But, in his 1st letter to Corinth, in chapter 9, verses 20-22, he amplifies what he said in Romans and also what I was saying when I referred to our mission in Matthew and the methods available to us.  In the first 2 verses he’s speaking about his efforts to save the souls of both the Jews and the Gentiles.  But then notice what he says in verse 22: “I am made all things to all men that I might by all means save some.”

What that shows me is that Paul would use whatever spiritually approved “motivational” tool he needed to save the souls of anyone he could.  And, we should also remember something he told us in 2Thess. 3:9.  That we should follow his example and his examples of motivating people are certainly appropriate for us to follow.

Well, let’s bring this little lesson home and it’s my aim, hope and prayer that it will motivate some who read it to either become a Christian, or to become a better, more motivated, worker in the Lord’s vineyard.

In the second chapter of Acts, the Apostle Peter is preaching the first Gospel sermon to those in Jerusalem on Pentecost.  Notice something he said in the 24th verse regarding Jesus Christ.  He said that God had “loosed the pains of death” for Him.  The good news of the Gospel is that He will do the same for all those “in Him.” *Rom. 6:5)

Yes, the “sting of death” is removed by our covenant relationship with Christ.  (1Cor. 15:55).  Isn’t that a wonderful motivator itself.  I mentioned earlier that I’d return to a point, so let’s just look at what we’ll eternally miss by being “in Christ.”

Several years ago, a famous comedian set himself on fire while indulging in the abuse of a “controlled substance” to wit: dope.  Even though he was severely injured he survived after undergoing a lot of medical treatment.  Following his recovery, I watched him being interviewed about the incident and he said something to his interviewer that I feel will help us close this lesson.  He said: “Fire is a great motivator.”

Well, let’s close with some final thoughts based upon the comedian’s statement.  If knowing that the eternal fate of sinners, those whose names are “not found written in the book of life,” will be to live eternally in a “lake of fire.”  (Rev. 20:15)   Shouldn’t that be a great “motivator” for people to do what’s necessary to avoid that fate?  I certainly think so.

Respectfully submitted,
Ron Covey 



No comments:

Post a Comment